Thread: Cool Portable 1 TB Drive: Thanks MacGurus!

Default Cool Portable 1 TB Drive: Thanks MacGurus!

Happy New Year to everyone on the forum!

I just bought this great drive and wanted to bring it to the attention of those who might be looking for a reliable, portable, storage solution.

I'm a long time photographer (ex-pro from the days of film; now a digital hobbyist) and safety of my digital files is the #1 priority. I read a few other photo/computer forums and a question that is constantly - and repeatedly - asked is: "I'm travelling for an extended period of time, what do you recommend for photo storage while I'm away?" Not an easy question to answer.

I hope to spend some time in Europe next summer and have been keeping an eye out for a storage solution that will work for me. I always shoot RAW and like to shoot HDR, taking the number of frames that are necessary to capture the complete dynamic range of the scene. This commonly can be 7 or even 9 frames, at 14 bits, on my 12.3 MP Nikon D300. Space is gobbled up quickly, and once the highly anticipated new Nikon cameras are released, we will be looking at sensors ranging somewhere between 18-24 MP (or higher).

In the past, in order to safely store my files while travelling, I've brought CD's with me; transferred files at night; burned duplicate sets of disks; mailed one set home (for safety); and retained one set. This has always been a great deal of work but my files were safe. Looks like I won't be doing that next summer, as the question of how I'm going to store my images while away from home now, and into the future, has been answered securely and elegantly with this drive from MacGurus. Take a look:

http://www.macgurus.com/store/ecom-p...MG12-Mini.html

As of now, I have one of these drives. I see my ideal "travel set-up" as being two of these 1 TB portable drives + a laptop. The drives are compact, solid and have a lot of space. I most certainly recommend them.

Best wishes to all in 2012!
    MsNikon

MsNikon - thanks for the cool review. That is a pretty nice little enclosure. And is it EVER nice to know your data has a place to reside.

Make sure you post your adventures here, we would all like to hear it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Will this work with a G4 MDD dual 1,4 Mhz?
    Running x.4.11!

thanks, h

Sure it will work. However, it is designed as a portable drive and uses a 2.5 inch laptop hard drive. On a desktop I think would rather use a 3.5 inch drive and an enclosure with active cooling. More efficient.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Great 1TB Portable Drive

Hi Rick,

I've used the drive for a while now and am very impressed with it.

I have a Lowepro battery case (D-Res 5; which was poorly designed for my purposes) that had 4 heavy elastic straps used to secure batteries. I cut the straps out and the case is now a perfect fit for this drive. Nice to be able to put something to use that was collecting dust.

Thanks for all your great products; when I do make the trip I'm imagining, I'll most certainly share the news

Regards,
    MsNikon