Thread: G4 MDD Dual 1.42 GHz (FW 800) and OS 9

Default G4 MDD Dual 1.42 GHz (FW 800) and OS 9

I have Tiger installed on this computer. Tiger supports Classic OS 9 as well as OS 9.2.2 on a separate volume. After eons of research I've just found out that not any old OS 9 can be installed on this particular computer. I have tried this many times and it just won't work. The version OS 9 must be perfectly matched to this computers serial number! This computer's s/n is YM9375QK9G6. If anybody knows of a special OS 9.2.2 that cross references to this serial number please contact me.

Since you emailed, I will post what I emailed back:

Serial number does not matter - model is everything. OS installers have no way to check serial number. What they do check is that the OS attempting to be installed is not older than the machine. All Apple OS installers do a check to determine whether they are installable/supported.

For your G4 you will not be able to use an OS installer that came for an older Mac. You should have no issue with installing a from a retail OS9.2 installer.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Just like Rick said any "Retail Disk" will work. Maybe a PPC G4 disk installer as well but try to match/use a same vintage of machine.

A Disk installer can be machine specific but it won't check/match serial numbers.

I don't have my OS 9 in front of me but think there was a big 9 on it with some orange color on white. OSX Retail disks are usually black.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but, I don't think your computer will boot into OS9. But it will work through OS10 to run OS9 in classic mode.

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but, I don't think your computer will boot into OS9. But it will work through OS10 to run OS9 in classic mode.
    Good call... I thought all MDD's were the last to boot 9 but with some research I found this...

The PowerMac G4 MDD was Apple's last Mac capable of dual-booting into both Mac OS 9 and OS X. The last of the G4 towers, this model was originally introduced in 2002, briefly evolved into an OS X-only configuration with FireWire 800 in 2003, then returned to the original design for another year.

I remember thinking I wanted a 1.25 Ghtz model because it was the last one that would boot OS9. Low End Mac has information about Macs and the 1.42 is here... http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/firewir...er-mac-g4.html
    Last edited by rwm; 12-28-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: fix url link

Talking

I have os 9.2.2 installed in a 1.2 MDD.
    Don't know if it works with 1.4 ...... but you can give it a go if you want.
    I do remember that it took me almost a year to find the right install.
    If you DO find a retail disk for sale ...... sorry but it will cost upwards of $200.00.

Retailers know what the value of theses disk are worth.

I might just have what your looking for somewhere around here if interested!
    Like I said, mine is installed in a G4 1.2 dual.
    Can't be looking at the moment ...... too damn busy .... but will/can find it for you at sometime .... promise!

Interested??????????

h

Default OS9 on MDD

As noted, the FW800 equipped MDDs cannot boot into OS9. The earlier MDDs can, but if one does not have MDD restore disks, it can be a hair tearing experience. Here is what I've found. Apologies for missing bits of information. One of these days I'll fill out all the version numbers. Most of the following also seems to apply to the 17" iMac G4 800MHz.

=================================

The MDD needs a variety of things to work well (or at all) when booting under OS9.x

1) Required: The Mac OS ROM file. If this isn't in the System folder and a late enough version, the machine won't boot at all. I think the earliest useful version for the MDD is 9.5.1.

2) Mostly Required: Latest ATI drivers. With the ATI drivers which are installed with the OS 9.2.2 update, QuickTime 6.0.3 will lock up the machine during extension loading. The mouse will move but clicking the mouse and typing on the keyboard will have no effect.

The culprit is ATI Video Accelerator 4.8.5. Update to 4.8.7 by installing the January 2005 ATI OS 9 Mac Software Update. If you have an nVidia card, this probably isn't a problem. This experience occurred with a Radeon 9000.

3) Really Nice to Have: Sound will not work properly with the installed extensions. There is no sound. Adjusting the volume in the Sound CP causes the CP to visually flash and the volume goes back to zero and there is still no sound. Update the sound extensions. For example Apple Audio Extension will be 1.x.x (1.5.1?) but needs to be 2.x.x. Files that may need updating include: Apple Audio Extension, Sound Manager, SoundSproketLib, SoundSprocket Filter, Sound Manager, SoundSpace2Lib, and USBSoundSpace2Driver.

Unfortunately, I do not have a comprehensive list of the old versions from the 9.2.2 update, and the newer version which work with the MDD. I found the newer versions in the OS 9.2.2 folder on my son's G4 800MHz iMac (the version which is OS9 bootable).

4) Nice to Have: A way to open the optical drives in OS 9 without leaving a disk in them all the time.

Apple provided a utility called Eject in the CD Extras->Eject Extras folder on the OS 9 install disc which came with some Macs, such as the iMac G4/800. (I don't know if it's available for download.) It is designed to open and close the optical drive bay when third-party keyboards without a 'Media Eject' key are used. You can use the application itself most easily via a desktop alias or assign a
    function key as a shortcut. It can be used with all Power Macs. (There's also an Eject Control Strip module included.)

5) Still Looking: A way to make the fans stop running at full speed in OS9. The Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.4.8 claims to improve fan control behavior and reduce high speed fan cycling when running in Mac OS 9, but if this is an improvement, I'd hate to see what the old firmware did... Still, if you have the fan problem and don't have the latest firmware, it's probably worth a try.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1179?viewlocale=en_US

The MDD restore disk images were available on ... wait for it... Megaupload.com.

A disk which has been reported to have the necessary components appears to be available from this seller for $15.
    http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Apple-eMa...3-p-37448.html

but the shipping charges are exorbitant for a simple DVD.

just to update this thread with some new information
    thanks to us guys over at macos9lives digital audio forums
    we have managed to downgrade the fw800 macs to be mac os 9 bootable

u can view the complete thread in which this happened here:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=762.0

the process involves using openfirmware to downgrade + Rollback the firmware to that of an earlier model.. the procedure is outline in the thread!!!!!!

we are working on realizing the same thing on other macs
    such as the ibook, powerbook, + imac models... the g5, is probably never going to happen, but the series that do include other models that *are* mac os 9 bootable, the firmware can be extracted + saved to a file + flashed to the non-os9 bootable model, effectively transforming it into an os9 capable machine.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Nice to Have: A way to open the optical drives in OS 9 without leaving a disk in them all the time.

If you're booted to OS X and running classic you can make an applescript to open the tray

do shell script "drutil tray eject"

I am pretty sure that will only run in OS X though so you would have to be using classic and not native booting OS 9.

If you need to do this in OS 9 natively you can go here for a freeware app called Eject Key (been a long time since I saw a file with the .sit.hqx extension)
    Damien,

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

IF shell scripts run in OS 9 this will give you a popup button box with an open and a close button (it will of course work in OS X) I Can't seem to find out if this will work in OS 9 or not

[AppleScript]
    display dialog "Optical Drive" buttons {"Close", "Open"}

if result = {button returned:"Open"} then
    do shell script "drutil tray eject"

else if result = {button returned:"Close"} then
    do shell script "drutil tray close"
    end if
    Damien,