Thread: Optical drive only reads some discs.

Default Optical drive only reads some discs.

Trying to help a friend. Her 2007 2.2GHz Core2 Duo 17" MBP (MacOS 10.6.8) successfully mounts CDs and DVDs which were commercially manufactured, but it fails to read ones which were burned on a computer, but which mount without problem on other machines. With audio discs, it reports that "you've inserted a blank disc." With my DiskWarrior startup DVD, it ejects it without mounting.

Has anyone else seen anything similar? Does anyone have suggestions for how she can get her machine back up and mounting discs again?

Thanks, gang.
    jb
    Professional Mixing Services

Dual 1GB G4 MDD / 1GB RAM / OS 10.4.11 / UAD-1 / MOTU 1296 + 2408MKii on PCI-424 / MTP-AV / Acard RAID / LogicPro 7.2.3 / LogicControl / DSP-Quattro 2 / ProTools LE 6.9.2 / TriToneDigital's HydraTone, ValveTone, PhaseTone, ColorTonePro, AngelTone / ElementalAudio's complete line / U-he's Zebra2, Filterscape, MfM2

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

taking it apart and blowing the dust out of there would be my first step

Apple has always used lame and slow optical drives so how much time effort and $ is she (you) willing to put into this?

One of these will burn and import at three times the speed she is used to.

Or if you/she has a firewire case of some sort you can get a bare drive here
    Damien,

To pile on.....

My experience is that the "super slim" drives that Apple is using in just about everything but the MP tower are fairly fragile. Seen plenty of iMacs that were not bounced around, and the optical drive was used sparingly, only to have it get flaky or fail completely within a year or two.

Including the one in my work 13" MBP. Mine failed within a year, and was replaced under warranty.

I saw such a wave of bad ones that I suspect there was a bad run, bad model....something more than just thin and fragile.

As expensive as the replacement part is, if it were me (and blowing it out does not help), I would get a big external drive for 25% of the price. And consider using the $ for a second internal hard drive where the optical drive is.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    As expensive as the replacement part is, if it were me (and blowing it out does not help), I would get a big external drive for 25% of the price. And consider using the $ for a second internal hard drive where the optical drive is.
    That model iMac still uses an ATA optical and finding a hard drive carrier for that bay is not as easy as you think. SATA is easy but the older ATA's are scarce. I have an iMac from that same year. Also if you do put a hard drive in there (even if you don't) you will want to turn up that fan. Apple has that cooling fan set to almost nothing to keep the noise down and discs come out of that optical drive very hot.
    Damien,

Good point. Got ahead of myself. Saw MBP and was thinking of unibody.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I assume you have tried different media brands/types. FWIW