Thread: Slow Imac

Confused Slow Imac

My Imac Running OS X 10.5.8, 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of Memory is running slow. There is plenty of memory left.

If you are still using the original hard drive you might check and see how full it is. If it's too full that will slow things down.

Anything more specific? Spinning beachballs, slow to boot, etc.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Confused Slow Imac

There spinning beachballs. 166 GB left on hard drive

Been my experience that about 70-80% of the time it is hard drive related. Not too strange to see modern drives failing at 3-5 years of age. Sometimes sooner. You can do a bit of testing to see if it could be something else, but first things first:

Be sure you have a good, current backup of all your important and unique data. If the drive is failing, you could lose some or all your data at any point, the machine may not boot anymore, or the drive could fail completely and all access could be lost.

Once you backup is confirmed, you could try starting in Safe Mode to see if that changes anything. Would be a great time to run Disk Warrior if you have it. If not, you could run Disk Utility while booted to another drive, or the original installer disk, and see what it thinks of the hard drive.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Question

So is everything slowed or it is more one application than another? Internet? Did it slow quickly or over time?

Ever try 10.6.x

Confused Slow Imac

I ran Disk Utility but not from a different HD. I have a Clickfree backup drive attached that I can try re-starting from. It happens when I have a large work load over a period of time. Is 10.6 Snow Leopard?

Yes 10.6 is Snow Leopard. Some felt it was faster than 10.5 was it could be a small help - you have an Intel chip and 10.6 takes should take better advantage of it.

Try creating a new user in your Accounts and see how it runs. If it's faster/better it may be in your /user file

So, Disk Utility did not report any errors or problems?

To recap:

- Could be a hard drive issue. Need to test a bit more to confirm or rule out. Some drives seem to slow with age a bit, though not technically failing....this is a warning sign.

- Could be an OS/software issue. Try Safe Booting to rule out third party issues, consider re-installing the OS Combo updater to resolve OS issues.

- Could be a user account specific issue (usually preferences). Create/login as to a new test user account, and see if the problem/slowness still persists.

And yes, 10.6 is a bit faster overall, but will not likely solve spinning beach ball issues, unless you specifically have an OS issue. If you decide to move up to 10.6, it would be a good time to erase the drive and start fresh, to be sure you don't move the problem forward. Keep in mind that either updating or a wipe and fresh install put a good load on a hard drive.......so if yours is tired, there is a some risk that the update could kill it. Not that that is a bad thing. Better to find the issue and move forward, right? Just be prepared.

time to replace the hard drive if you haven't done so before. it could also be the x1600 gpu on that imac, seen a few of those fail.