Thread: Mac Pro 1,1 CPU upgrades

Default Mac Pro 1,1 CPU upgrades

Does anyone have personal experience installing upgrade CPU in the original (1,1) MacPro ? The prices on the 3.0 GHZ 5160 are pretty low, and I thought it might be worth a try.

Mad Dog

Holy crap - where you been?

Even though I have not done that upgrade myself, there is lots of stuff out there about doing it. Actual experience would be a very necessary part of the decision whether to try it. See if I can find the ones I had bookmarked....

Glad to see you're still around.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default CPU upgrade

Since xlr8yourmac.com dropped the forum, I havnt posted much anywhere on hardware modding and upgrade. I repair and rebuild macbooks, but I havnt messed with my MacPro until now. The 5160 CPUs are pretty cheap on Ebay, and it would help keep this machine going. Although to be honest, it still kicks ass. Sails through every game I have thrown at it, and keeps PS and AI happy.

There are a surprising amount of youtube videos covering it, as well as a few webpages, but I have to figure out where to get the long torx for the heatsink. Otherwise, it doesnt look too hard.

That reminds me that I need to place an order here for some parts......

thanks,

Mad Dog

I made my long screwdriver, welded a tip to the end of a cutoff Craftsman.

Keep us in the loop on how it goes and if you need anything.

Upgrade forums are pretty much a dead breed. This one, even having been around now for 16 years, is a shadow of it former self. Just not much one can do with a Mac these days.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default upgrade

Well, its gotten a lot harder to do any hacks these days. Everything is BGA so has such a high density, you would be hard pressed to do anything with a soldering iron anymore.

On the other hand, I think the hardware has gotten a lot better in terms of power and quality.

Video card flashing is still possible - thats going strong and the hackintosh scene is pretty lively. I never got into that, but I hear its gotten pretty easy lately.

Mad Dog

Default Mac Pro 1,1 upgrade

I just wanted to drop a note about upgrading a mac pro 1,1 model. Following one of several sets of instructions on the web, I bought a pair of 3.0 GHz Xeon 5160 CPUs. and replaced my old ones. Its not that difficult - about the trickiest part is finding the long handled hex wrench.

Mad Dog

Now that is cool. I am going to have to try it. Wouldn't mind that and a ATi 5870 in a MacPro1,1.

Let us know how it works as you use it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin