Thread: Rumor has it.....

Default Rumor has it.....

Rumors flying around that Apple is going to drop the MacPro. Already dropped the XServe, XRAID and a real Pro version of Final Cut Pro. So dropping the MacPro would seem to suit the 'flea market' mentality that Apple appears to be ruled by these days.

Lion is a travesty. May work wonders with an iPhone but just plain sux on a desktop computer.

Thunderbolt is just the ticket to allow Apple to hang a 'Pro' tag on the iMac, however there will never be a big screen movie edited on an iMac. Thunderbolt works perfectly for high end integration of Minis and iPads, but adds nothing to the MacPro line.

Apple is not competing for performance with PCs at all. The current MacPro is no better than the MacPro that came out in 2009. Oh sure, little things were sped up, but in general the computers are so close in performance as to not matter.

This space may become all about building a PC up for switchers - from Mac.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I'm still back in 10.6, but I've wondered about Lion. What about Lion don't you like?

I haven't found much to like in Lion. The cloud stuff is mostly crap for an iPhone. And if you look at the cloud then you have to fix everything on your computer that it takes and puts on the cloud.

Only thing I do like is when you reboot it puts everything back where it was when you last were up. I boot a lot into Windows on bootcamp, so it is nice to have everything back ready to go when I boot back.

In general, lots of bugs and lots of half baked additions.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I have a few gripes about 10.7, and lots of nice little things too. Overall, I think it is a push. First OS since 10.0 that I am pretty ambivalent about upgrading to. Based on their track record, it will get better. Historically (perhaps with the exception of 10.6) it has been about the .3 or .4 iteration to shake out 99% of the bugs.

Biggest hurdle: Apple stripped out Rosetta, which just dumped all old PPC code. Anybody with legacy software cannot run anything newer than 10.6.

Mac Pro: I don't think they will drop it. I am hoping for a new case, a bit smaller, and perhaps with i7 CPUs. The days of xeon CPUs may be numbered. Lots of ways Apple could make a killer tower that would sell well. More drive bays, less (no) optical drive, solid state boot drive, rack mountable, dual Thunderbolt, etc.

Maybe just wishful thinking......but I have some hope.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I found lion to be very fast compared to 10.6, a VERY noticeable speed bump for my somewhat long in the tooth iMac.

As for its gestures support well yeah that's pretty pointless on a desktop even with the track pad but I smell a line of laptops coming with a full touchscreen.....

That MacPro rumor... did you hear that from any 'source'? I read an article last week on a blog of someone who absolutely pulled it out of his ass on why Apple is killing the Mac Pro this guy knew nothing but may be he knew how to start a rumor.
    Damien,

Pure rumor Damien. Yeah, Ain't worth a thing until it comes to be.

It was pure rumor they would dump the XServe as well, until they did it. I would imagine that deleting the Professional market from your business model is a pretty dire choice. But Apple has not improved MacPro performance to any extent whatsoever in over two years. Hard to think they are all that interested in it when it has been so neglected.

FCP is just one more nail.

Lion is.... like a big slide towards iPads and phones. Feels wrong as a professional platform. Unpolished, non professional, designed for mobility from top down.

The rack mountable replacement to the MacPro is a long held dream of all of us. Doesn't have to be all that much smaller, just more versatile and more power, with the ability to integrate the tools all the various pros need.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

FCP confuses me since it was my impression that Hollywood pretty much ran on FCP for live action footage anyway

Yeah I agree Apple has been becoming a consumer based company for quite some time now. Owning an iMac, iPhone, iPad, 3-4 iPods, 2 Mac Mini's and a PowerMac 8500 I would have to say that I am hooked on the consumer stuff. Still I would hate to see the pro line go away without something to replace it
    Damien,

The writing is on the wall I'm afraid. Apple are a retail/consumer company and IT is going that way too. these days there's not much a tech savvy consumer armed with youtube and google can't do compared with you average tech.

I'm still using 10.6 and my 2.66GHz C2D iMac. I can see both sides.

On the retail/consumer side I'm wondering where or what progress and at what price a new iMac might be in the spring or next fall. I'll really have an itch for a new one but by my current machine will be meting my needs I'm sure. So hard to justify.

Well, y'all know I still think the Xserve death was a mistake......unless a rack mount something with redundant PS and some PCIe slots comes along.

Then it is just an awkward transition.

FCP X is a bit different: I have a few customers that live in FCP and Adobe Premier for broadcast. The biggest gripe is no path forward. Imagine the local TV station with year of projects and commercials in their tape library that they cannot migrate forward. Tuff. They can continue to use FCP 7 on 10.6 for years, heck, even on the same box with FCP X. They just don't really want to.

Studios are different in that they are starting on a new project; no real need to bring in legacy stuff. The real issue is folks with year under their belt don't want to change their work flow. Not much different than the response one would expect to get when asking a finance guy to switch to a totally new version of Excel. NO! I KNOW THE OLD ONE, I GET MY STUFF DONE! NO CHANGE!

Reminds me of the old guard when Vista/7 hit them in the face. Didn't matter how much better, easier, more secure, and generally nicer the OSes are. After 10 years of XP, and knowing all the warts, they simply did not want change. Win 8 is around the corner, and I still run into Win IT guys that are holding onto XP as long as possible. NO CHANGE!

But we all know Apple changes stuff, breaks new ground, and doesn't look back much. Well, that's what they did. Time will tell if there is a changing of the guard, folks jump ship to another product or.....

Dunno Ricks. I think the syncing stuff is going to be great, and I simply turn off/ignore the features I don't need or want, like Launch Pad. Spaces, Hot Corners and the like has been there for years, and turned that all off too. Not a big deal. My single biggest gripes (mind you I install and work on 10.7 everyday, but have not yet adopted it myself yet.......maybe this weekend):

- I have seen some hangs with Mail. Wasn't perfect before, but concerned about stability getting worse.

- iCal has less features. Why? No idea. Simpler? Prettier?

- Increased resource requirements. Though all machines are now so fast it is not much of an issue, I have been thrilled and impressed that every version of OS X has had an overall speed improvement on similar hardware Eating more RAM is not a deal breaker for the average iMac owner with 4+ GB, but it is challenge to run VMs decently with less than 6GB now.

- Don't need to hide Libraries. Easy fix: make a shortcut. Put it where you expect it to be. Done.

- Finder sidebar: don't hate it, but don't see it as an improvement overall. Can get it the way I like, but not out of the box. Also don't like the monochrome colors. Not an improvement.

I could bore you with the long list of really nice features. No single one that puts it over the top, but lots of good stuff there.

.....Maybe you are turning into a NO CHANGE! guy.

LOL, HAHAHAHAHAHA......anywho.....time will tell if Apple squashes bugs with some more releases, as has come to be the norm, or if these 10.7 things linger more than is acceptable.

A nice long, in-depth review.....that I agree with. Good out ways the bad, though some of the bad is bad. Oh, and the Reich is lost without Save As.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I'm thinking about testing Lion. Wonder if it's a good idea to partition my SSD for a second bootable partition? Certainly would make booting up in Lion much faster than booting from my external drive. Seems that every time there's a new OS I have waited for later versions to be reliable enough for my use. Is there any problem with making partition on an SSD???

No issues I am aware of. Have done a few SSDs with bootcamp on 10.7 (which is a partition on the fly). No issues that I know of.

To be safe, consider cloning your current OS as a backup first......just to be safe.

I don't see any problem at all with partitioning the SSD for a Boot Camp partition. WIll work perfectly.

Ask Matt said, backup! With backups noting really matter that happens. Without - everythings a bitch.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I'll give it a shot, when I have some time. Now where is that turkey?

Say Rick, if a fellow was going to buy a HD for backup, what drives, that you stock, would you use. Is there any "real" power savings in the 5900 "green" drives?

Great question..

For Google, the power savings from a couple watts per drive - writ large with server facilities containing million plus drives - adds up.

For the regular user who usually has 2-6 drives running, not much. All your drives only add up to a few tens of watts. Like running one 60 watt light bulb. Just doesn't make a lot of savings to drop that to 45 or 50 watt light.

In my opinion, 'Green' is almost entirely marketing and political correctness. Yes, manufacturers ought to make their stuff lower power - but everything electronic MUST use less power and create less heat for it to get faster. Speed limits on electronics (and mechanical devices) ALWAYS has a power usage/heat generation hurdle as part of the engineering limit. Lower power use/higher efficiency IS what makes it possible to run a given device faster. And less heat because of lower power allows more speed, higher clock tics, longer battery life and or better device longevity.

Calling this evolution 'green' is pure marketing. Taking what they already must do and finding a way to market it that is politically correct and fits the group think - every college in the country teaches that in economics and marketing class.. (ok, off my high horse)

All said, most of today's drives are pretty much reliable and fast. The difference in performance from a 5900 RPM Seagate to a 7200 RPM Seagate is about 7 percent. Not a lot. And reliability is back where I find it acceptable. A couple years ago I was not happy with green drive quality from any of the manufacturers. Today, I still have my doubts about WD Green. But Seagate has been slam dunk since the beginning of this year. No issues at all with the Seagate LP. And 7% performance is not a factor - I would use em for anything except where I want highest performance. General storage and backup usage - perfect.
    Last edited by ricks; 11-23-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin