Thread: Unmountable Harddrive

Default Unmountable Harddrive

I could seriously use some help with sorting out how to get access to my old macpro hard drive.

I had a ton of problems with my old drive and swapped a new drive from my other pro hoping to be able to swap some of the files across to the new clean drive. Now I have no way to mount the old drive and get the files I need.

I tried it in the second bay and now have an SATA cable and none of my macs can see the drive at all.

Is it a mounting problem? IS there any diagnostic software that I can use to recover the files?

I can clean the drive when I get a few things but I need the files.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

It sounds like the hard drive might have been going bad when you swapped it out. Maybe not. How is your Macbook pro working with the new drive? What was the other drive doing/acting? crashes? slow? any grinding noise?

Do you have any external cases to put the drive in. Like FW our USB. How much data is on the drive?

Do you know what TDM Target Disk Mode is? This is often a good way to "grab data"

There should be ideas and some options. The less you mess with it until attempting data retrival the better. Trust me. I got in a hurry and killed a drive that was slowly working... but working.

Need more information.

Both drives are now inside your MacPro?

You are now booted to a drive that came out of another MacPro?

If you run Disk Utility does it see both drives?

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Is it a mounting problem? IS there any diagnostic software that I can use to recover the files?
    Hopefully it will. Diagnostic software is usually for drive "repair" actual data "recovery" can be expensive.

Hopefully between FW, USB or TDM you can get your data. How are you attempting to access the first or problem drive?