Thread: Extended keyboards, wireless, etc

Default Extended keyboards, wireless, etc

Hello.

Upgrade time in our household, so just bought a 2nd hand iMac (2010 i3) which is lovely, except for the awful keyboard! It's tiny, no numeric pad, not what I've been used to. Built-in wireless is useful, of course.

Fair enough, the young folk probably like it, but what I want to do is this:

a) Replace it with an Apple extended wireless keyboard which is compatible with the built-in Bluetooth system.
    or
    b) Replace it with ANY extended wireless keyboard - but HOW do I make it compatible? Does the transmitter inside the iMac automatically detect the keyboard and tune-in to it?

In the cupboard, I've got an original Apple extended USB keyboard, which I can use of course, and also a nice Logitech extended wireless keyboard- would I have any chance of connecting the Logitech to the Bluetooth?

Thanks.

Allen.

In the Bluetooth menu is detect devices. You can attach and run pretty much any device it can see.

If the Logitech is Bluetooth it will connect that way. Otherwise most of them come with a little USB link. It will work fine whichever it is.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks ricks.

My bluetooth menu has 'discoverable' rather than 'detect', and the only thing it can discover is my wife's new Powerbook. The Logitech is a USB device with a transmitter, so I either take up a USB slot with that, or with a wired keyboard. Either way it's better than the piddly little thing that comes with the iMac!

So, I shouldn't complain. I take it Apple haven't got anything on the market - I couldn't see anything in the Apple Store (UK).

Cheers.

Allen.

Any of the devices with a USB dongle are usually not bluetooth. Bluetooth is apparently more expensive, so many companies (and consumers) go with the cheaper non-bluetooth setup......which requires a USB transmit/receive device.

This is the one I want to try. Wireless + solar, though not Bluetooth.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I too dislike the Apple wireless keyboards. But they don't make a full size keyboard that is wireless. I still use the "old style" wired keyboard that I bought some time ago. Why go wireless?

Yes, it's a good question, Yeungfeng. I suppose it's because "it's there" already, at least on the iMac - i.e. built-in Bluetooth transmitter.

I've been back on my wired Apple extended keyboard for a couple of days now, and I like it just as much as I used to.

We're all spoiled, really, aren't we?

Allen.

I am a great fan of turing off stuff like Bluetooth that I am not using. I keep on hearing rumbles about how cellphones and other devices that transmit cause problems with body cells absorbing the radiation. So I don't leave em on unless I am using them. I will use them though, so I haven't sworn off. It's just that our computers now have several wireless connections all adding to the crowded electromagnetics around us.

Tin foil hat time?

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Having read ricks, I've just turned my Blueteeth off. Can't be too careful.

A

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I am a great fan of turing off stuff like Bluetooth that I am not using. I keep on hearing rumbles about how cellphones and other devices that transmit cause problems with body cells absorbing the radiation. So I don't leave em on unless I am using them. I will use them though, so I haven't sworn off. It's just that our computers now have several wireless connections all adding to the crowded electromagnetics around us.

Tin foil hat time?

R
    Yeah Elvis told me that very thing just yesterday! I believe everything The King tells me. JFK says that The King is full of BS. They get pretty heated about things sometimes, but then I tell them how Morrison forgot to lock his liquor closet up again and they both take off for a little nip and all is well again.
    Damien,

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Yeah Elvis told me that very thing just yesterday! I believe everything The King tells me. JFK says that The King is full of BS. They get pretty heated about things sometimes, but then I tell them how Morrison forgot to lock his liquor closet up again and they both take off for a little nip and all is well again.

Oh yeah..... I was just about to sneak down for a nip my ownself. Only with Elvis though, don't cha know that JFK is dead, man.

R (hic)
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin