Thread: Mail driving me mad

Default Mail driving me mad

"Enter password for account"

I've been trying to set up Mail on our new Macbook, and although I can get one email address running (how odd) the other addresses, which worked fine on the old machine (disconnected from the web) refuse to function.

I get that terminally annoying "Enter password for account".

Checked passwords, of course, and all the other obvious things like ports, deleted keychains, started again, etc. Had a Google, and seems LOADS of other people have had the same problem, but no definitive solution - a few ideas, none of which work for me.

Any ideas of more obvious things that I'm missing?

Help!

Allen.

Sorry, no easy fix. Can you send, receive (or neither)?

Check and recheck all PWs, log in if you can to web mail with a browser to verify. For GMail, be sure you have the SSL box checked, using port 993.

On the menu bar in Mail, use the Activity and Connection Doctor on the Window pulldown menu for more detail and possible clues.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Turns out there was a way round, but not a way that many people will like.

We thought we'd delete some xxx@ntlworld.com addresses and replace them with similar addresses (so, delete allen, replace by allen1).

Not so easy.

Virgin, who bought ntl a few years ago, are no longer giving out ntlworld.com addresses, ONLY virginmedia.com addresses, so where we wanted allen1@ntlworld.com, we had to settle for allen1@virginmedia.com instead.

Then, it worked instantly and perfectly (except for not letting us have POP but insisting on IMAP).

Bit of a pain, having to tell friends/relations about new email addresses, but there are worse things...

So I suspect that the problem over the bouncing passwords was always Virgin's fault, either not bothering to keep the POP/ntlworld.com addresses up to scratch, or just not bothering. They are a funny company.

(Funny = UK for odd, not amusing).

Allen.

Thumbs up Good job

I've had similar issues. On one hand it looks/seems so easy to fix but as you found it's often a pain in the rear.

Blessing in disguise to be rid of POP. IMAP is worth the hassle if you ever want to get your mail in more than one place.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Confused snow leopard mail

Does anyone know if .mac mail will work with Snow Leopard? Or does it require Lion?? Apple is not clear on this. I would hate to lose the account and its aliases.

.mac, now called mobile me, works fine with Snow Leopard. Mail application works the same with Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion - that is until you turn on iCloud in Lion, then all your stuff gets stored on Apple's cloud server.

The iCloud doohicky is what doesn't work with anything but Lion. If you upgrade to Snow Leopard your mail will work pretty much identically to what it did on previous OSes.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Confused snow leopard mail

Rick,
    Thanks for the quick reply. But I see a problem. Quote from Apple:
    " MobileMe will no longer be available as a paid sync service. If you had an active MobileMe account as of June 6, 2011, your service has been extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After that date, the MobileMe service will no longer be available."

MobilMe service no longer available unless you use iCloud? And to use iCloud you must have Lion? Is Apple forcing people to buy Lion?

To me it meant: MobilMe no longer available = no more .mac mail service, and I lose my account if I stay with Snow Leopard. All I wanted is my simple, bare bones mail without any bells or whistles......and now Apple will take that away from me? I have seen others on forums complaining about similar matters.

(Is there any way to bring Jobs back to life??)

Ah, now I got you. I thought you were looking for compatibility issues, not future support and roadmap.

This is all Jobs's roadmap. Move everyone to where their content is on the iCloud, then you have a captured audience for life. How do you take your content when it is Apple licensed to you? Jobs created this concept. It starts out with dropping direct email and iDisk services.

I will ask about the .Mac email of someone I know in the .mac group - your post reminded me that I could not find a purchase email account link anywhere on Apple website last week. I just didn't put 2 and 2 together.

What we use at MacGurus is a VERY professional commercial email service that used to be owned by a small company that wrote high end spam filtering algorithms. They sold the email service to RackSpace, and the service still uses the algorithms that were so important to MacGurus business. We had been kicked of some HUGE ISPs because we get hit with so much spam. MacGurus been around a long time and we are on everyone's spam list. These guys take that in stride and we get pretty much nothing any more.

I had a buddy who wanted good email service for his family. He has had it with hotmail, gmail et al. So he asked and I checked with Rackspace because they have done really well for MacGurus on the business side. I can always get a tech online (24/7) and best of all - they tell us the truth - not a BS coverup. Most places when some tech kicks the plug out they tell you there is a service outage and blame it on a 'backbone' problem or some other pass the buck excuse. Not these guys, they will actually tell us the details of what happened - hence we know they actually got it fixed - even when it was their fault. Doesn't happen often, but once in a while they have an issue to deal with.

You might check with them. Cost is 2 bucks per month per email address. One time $10 added if you get a custom domain name for your email account.

http://www.rackspace.com/apps/email_...ckspace_email/

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Interesting...

I have but don't use my .mac account - on a rare occasion with Apple.

Am I reading this right... will Lion change the way my Mail program currently works? It's the app in the Mac OS via an ISP in my case bresnan and macgurus.

or is this only affecting a .mac accounts?

Smile email

Rick,
    Thanks again. Just went to rackspace website and started checking. Immediately a chat window appeared, and the guy was ready to chat with me. We did. Amazing. You were right. This looks like what I will want, and I did say macgurus recommended them to me. He told me to thank you. LOL.

The $2/month is cheap; includes aliases and a great spam filter, and will work with outlook, entourage and snow leopard mail. I will certainly try it when I finally get off my duff and upgrade to Snow Leopard. (Don't laugh now - I am chronically lazy). I have no intention of going to any cloud; except of course, if I want rain.

I see you upgraded your computer to the 32nm Westmere model. You must be happy with it. Oh yes, by the way, everything I bought from you in the last 10 years or so is still working, and working like a charm. By contrast, half of the hardware I bought elsewhere is shot.

marrand

Unhappy email

rwm,
    The way I understand it the entire MobilMe service, including mail account, will have to go through the iCloud. But that is only for MobilMe. I have no idea about the rest, and that is why I asked.

Randy,

I went to iCloud land for a couple days to see what it was. Have to admit it isn't for anyone who is not wanting mobile devices. For a desktop only it is useless and an annoyance. I don't live in a city any more than you do, so cloud based and mobile would not serve us at all. Like marrand, I am not interested in Apple having control over my content and file transfers.

Your Mail Application will work the same no matter what. Just .mac or mobile me that is getting changed to cloud only

We will all end up dropping our .mac email address unless we need iCloud.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up Thanks Rick

Clears that up good. I am fine with the mail app and your right I have no iCloud needs.

The only thing I would add:

Don't be surprised that iCloud requires 10.7. Apple has long "pushed" people to new tech (and new sales) by requiring the latest hardware or software.

You don't have to like it or agree with it, but don't be surprised by it.