Thread: Cannot get Leopard reinstalled

Default Cannot get Leopard reinstalled

Macbook Pro 17" unibody.

For various reasons I need to reload Leopard on my Macbook Pro and during a recent move lost my installation DVD's. So I purchased a retail copy of Leopard 10.4.3 from the apple store, tried to install that, then discovered that it would not work because whereas the retail disc is 10.4.3 I originally had 10.4.4 installed--and so the 10.4.3 disc won't work.

Okay, so Apple mailed me a not-for-resale DVD supposedly tailored for my MAcbook. Problem: When you C-boot from it it boots off the hard drive instead and the installation DVD does not show up at all from an option-boot. So Apple says either the DVD is defective or we sent you the wrong disc. So they just mailed me another one. Now the installation DVD / player shows up during an option boot but when you select it, you can hear the DVD spinning up but all I get is the Apple logo, no spinning gear, and it stays that way indefinitely. Never boots to an installation routine.

Okay, maybe the Macbook DVD is defective? I have an ASUS portable DVD player that is recognized as a bootable device during an option-boot, but same thing happens: Apple logo, no spinning gear, no setup routine.

So after 1 retail disc, 2 "custom" discs, and two DVD players, I still cannot get Leopard reloaded on this infernal Macbook.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or what I can do about it? Been trying to reload Leopard now for a month and a half.

Thanks!

I don't see why a "retail" disk won't work - It should. Are they the black retail ones? After getting any 10.4.x there you can use the combo update to get to any needed version of 10.4.x.

Try the retail from the bootable external drive. Otherwise it might/can be the optical drive.

If you have another Mac around you can put the installer DVD in that other Mac, boot it to Target Disk Mode by holding the 'T' key down. Then connect the two macs via Firewire and boot the second Mac to the installer DVD over Firewire. I would suggest you boot your MBP by holding the Option key down and select the DVD that is connected via Firewire.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up Great idea Rick

That article says you cannot access the optical drive in Target Disk Mode... my apologies, looks like a dead end.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Ahh.......

But you can put the the other Mac into TDM, put the DVD installer in the optical drive, and it will mount on the 17" MBP.

At least it used to be possible.

Assuming another similar Mac is available.

Oh, and to be clear:

10.7 = Lion
    10.6 = Snow Leopard
    10.5 = Leopard
    10.4 = Tiger

Totally possible that the retail (10.4.3) disk will not work.....this happens with late model machines. Have to use the machine specific disk since no retail disks are produced after the machine......until the next OS; in this case 10.5.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks everyone for the replies.

An Apple tech actually called to see what progress I was making with the new DVD (nice customer service there) and he is as puzzled as I am, so he is going to expedite ship 2 more DVD installation discs. One thing I thought about doing was to create a bootable flash drive with the .dmg installer on it, see if I have better luck with that. The target boot idea is a good one although I don't have access to another Mac. But my understanding is that you can "remote boot" from a shared Windows optical drive. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks.

I haven't tried the windows thing. The thumb drive will possibly work. Really slow, but that doesn't matter. I forget which Macs are capable of booting to USB....

Keep the conversation going here. This is most interesting and you/we WILL figure it out. Just the process of running it by a bunch of Mac users can find some not thought of solution. And we like to at least try and be helpful

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by christcrs View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

An Apple tech actually called to see what progress I was making with the new DVD (nice customer service there) and he is as puzzled as I am, so he is going to expedite ship 2 more DVD installation discs. One thing I thought about doing was to create a bootable flash drive with the .dmg installer on it, see if I have better luck with that. The target boot idea is a good one although I don't have access to another Mac. But my understanding is that you can "remote boot" from a shared Windows optical drive. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks.
    I have never had any luck running a dmg OS installer from anywhere but the boot partition. Maybe that's just me
    Damien,

The boot thing on USB will totally work. You will need an 8GB flash drive minimum.

Many flash drives come formatted FAT so they mount on both Macs and PCs OK, but won't be bootable. Be sure to format the drive with Disk Utility first first.

You can use a tool like CCC or DU or SuperDuper to clone the installer DVD to the flash drive. It needs to be bootable, so no different requirements than any other bootable OC clone.

Good idea!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin