Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kindle/MacKeeper/??!!!

It may be useful.......but many of the features are available in other tried and true tools, some of which are free. Having said that, it does incorporate some goodies that are mostly paid tools, and all in one place which is cool.

It is a good price. Assuming it does no harm.

I am a little wary that the AV section is solid, just because they are new, and good AV software costs money to maintain and update......hence my like of Sophos. They have been around for 10+ years with a great rep. Does not mean MK is bad, or can't be good......just no proven track record. Yet.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Interesting discussion on MacKeeper. I know that this is a little old now, but I thought I'd add my experience with it anyway.
    MK approached me a few months ago with a view to me becoming an affiliate or reseller. The offer would have been of interest if I thought that there was any great merit to the software. I told them that I coldn't possibly take it on unless I tried it out for myself and found it to be of value.
    Apart from cleaning out some unused languages and patting itself on the back for freeing up 3gb on my 1TB drive, I can honestly say that it doesn't do any more than the other apps I already have installed.
    I'm not greedy and I don't exploit my clients so I won't be recommending this to anyone.
    To me, zeobit, or any of the others punting AV software for the Mac is like a glazier going around threatening to break people's windows. Fear-based marketing stinks and there's far too much of it in the world today.

Oh, just one more thing that might be useful.

I found this site a while ago. It identifies 116 'threats' to the Mac world. All but one of the viruses are for OS9 and earlier. There's one for OSX, Leap, just for PowerPC Macs. Never seen it anywhere so never had to remove it. The rest are bits and pieces of crud that are, supposedly, all negated in the latest security updates.
    I did check my MBP for each and everyone of them... found nothing. Am I worried? No more than I was 10 years ago - the last time a donkey infected a newspaper network with the Sevendust virus by bringing a game on a floppy into work to play at lunchtime! I was less than impressed.
    I'm downloading Sophos now, just to test it, but then I'll most likely delete it. Most AV software just gets in the way while pretending to do something useful.

That review appears to have been written by Zeobit. The site is clearly an affiliate to Zeobit (MacKeeper) and therefore is pushing the software at every opportunity.

One thing that does amuse me: I have MacKeeper installed and also AppTrap... if I delete an application, Apptrap is there in a flash, offering to delete the associated files. MK usually offers to do the same thing, but always after AppTrap has already done the job! AppTrap is free as well.

I like AppTrapp too.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Installed Sophos, it found 6 'doze viruses and removed them. All legacy stuff. I couldn't actually find the viruses that it supposedly found, even following the path it gave in the info box, so I'm not totally convinced by it.
    I do have "Find Any File" installed, so even if it came in as an invisible I'd be able to find it. I also use Show/Hide hidden files when I need to, but given that most viruses need the user to open them to work they're not likely to be invisible anyway.
    I'll keep Sophos for a month and see if anything shows up, but after that I'll either delete or deactivate it.