Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kindle/MacKeeper/??!!!

Default Kindle/MacKeeper/??!!!

Okay, people, here's the problem. I have a Kindle. I have successfully transferred many documents from my computer by 1. emailing to kindle or 2. by usb file transfer.

Suddenly (a couple of weeks ago) this stopped working. I have spent hours with Kindle support people. They say it must be something wrong with my files (.doc in the case of 1. and .txt in the case of 2.). I guess I should try using Calibre to reformat my documents into .mobi files but didn't think of that until just now.
    Also, I bet it won't work.

Anyhow, the only changes in the past few weeks (that I can think of) are 1. I installed MacKeeper and 2. a virus.

MacKeeper has found no viruses (etc) and the MacKeeper support people say no way can MacKeeper change files.

So, there you go. Any ideas appreciated about what could be causing the problem. Meanwhile I'll go try changing my files into .mobi and sending them to Kindle or transferring them by usb cable.
    Last edited by ricks; 09-26-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: removing links

That worked except the file I wanted to transfer was greyed out (?) so I picked another one, also recently created. I used Calibre to make this file (in both .txt and .doc) into .mobi and sent it off to kindle AND transferred it to Kindle via usb from my computer. Both worked! Big relief.

Wait. I spoke too soon. Now, new files I create in Word are all greyed so they won't convert in Calibre. The popup says "unknown has no available formats".

Hmmm. I created a new file (.rft not .txt) in TextEdit and Calibre recognized it and converted it to .mobi. Also I sent it to kindle.com and it came back to my Kindle just like it should.

So there is something about my Word files that Kindle and Calibre don't like.

Is there anything I can do to fix my Word for Mac problem?
    Last edited by ricks; 09-26-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Thumbs up Welcome to the Guru's Forums

When you save a document look at the options you have... or/also check the File menu - Export and save it if you can to a useable format?

I'm a little confused as to the question. I'm not a Kindle user. I'll re-read it.

Someone should wander through by morning.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

There are Kindle viruses?
    Damien,

Dang, what worked once, now doesn't. Very hit and miss. Maybe the Kindle is the problem. Gotta stop dropping the equipment.

I can't understand why Calibre won't reformat my Word docs but it won't. Weird.

I hope there are no Kindle viruses! I was talking about a virus affecting Word if such a thing happens.

Better give up for now. Getting fried.

What version of Office? 2008, 2011?

Any changes to Office/Word......updates, etc. Any available?

Sorry, no experience with Kindle file transfers. I did some googling, and see stuff like this and this.

Odds are that it is not a virus, but a formatting thing, likely with Word.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Well I knew Macs had no viruses even mal/adware and trojans are rare. So I thought you knew of a Kindle virus... forgot we were talking about Microsoft. Yes Word Macro viruses can affect word docs on a Mac. They can't affect the Mac itself only your Microsoft documents as I remember. Even so I haven't heard much talk of them lately. Someone who uses Microsoft apps needs to chime in here
    Damien,

Talking

If there are no Mac viruses why did I buy MacKeeper? Can't say it has made much of a difference so far but it is very pleased with itself for having cleaned up my computer of various critical threats.

Anyway, as to the problem with getting my documents onto my Kindle, here's my workaround:

- create a document in text and save in rft
    - open Calibre and save the .rft doc in it
    - plug in my Kindle via usb cable
    - 'device' button on Calibre will appear so use it to add .rft file to Main memory

Bob's yer uncle.

It still doesn't usually work to mail the document to kindle.com for processing and download. Sometimes, though.

No true viruses......that self replicate......but there are handful of trojans, and there seems to be more of them than ever this year. Still, that means like 2 or 3.

Hardly an onslaught.

MacKeeper is fairly new to the market, and it looks nice, though I don't know if their security stuff is solid or not. I typically recommend Sophos free Mac software if you ever think you have an issue...Sophos has been around a long time and is a well respected name in enterprise IT, just not a well known consumer name.

I ran a scan today and found two viruses. Not what it seems though....they were both email attachments in my junk mail that were Windows only threats. 0% of any danger to my machine, yet still technically viruses were on my Mac, not in my Mac.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Interesting that since I bought MacKeeper my download speed has dropped like a rock. It was supposed to be 24 mbs, reality was about 1.4 mbs (long story, apparently my modem wasn't up to the task, according to my ISP) so I downgraded to supposed to be 6 mbs which was, in reality, around 3 mbs (last time I checked maybe 2 months ago) and now I'm trying to download some videos and its like watching paint dry so I checked again and the speed is a dazzling, dizzifying .43 mbs. Good grief.

According to MacKeeper everything is peachy in the latest scan, this morning.

Unclemac said: "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

And yet, here I am -- complaining.

I have never used or tested MacKeeper. I tend to do most cleaning tasks manually, There are many small maintenance tasks or old files that just get by software.

I'd be checking your modem/router for a driver update , etc. Check your speed without the router to see where it slows down either from the ISP or is it after your modem/router.

I would tend to agree.....typical ISP issue, could be modem too.

Cable? I have seen this repeatedly with some cable set ups, tends to be:

1. Neighborhood facilities (cables, connections, termination, etc.)
    2. Flaky modem

Similar with DSL. Seems like it usually comes down to issues with lines and connections beyond our control. Swapping the modem to rule it out can........rule it out. At one point I owned 3 cable modems.

Thanks, I'll try out those ideas. Nice forum. Talk to you again, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by njoy View Post
    If there are no Mac viruses why did I buy MacKeeper?
    Because MacKeeper wants your money. Also as has been said there are, though rare, spyware and adware with the occasional trojan. The last trojan I heard about was a proof of concept deal made by a software company to drum up business for their anti virus software... But really anyone who can make a software installer can make a trojan. I.E. make an installer that says it changes your desktop background to kittens.. and it really does do that but it also installs a random insult generator in the startup items that no one knows about until later when the mac starts insulting its owner. Now give it to someone under the kitten pretense. Congrats you have just made and distributed a trojan. This is how most adware and spyware gets installed
    Damien,

BTW I have had nothing but trouble from customers who have installed mackeeper. it seems to be everywhere and in my opinion is nothing but a trojan. I strongly recommend against its installation

I have a copy my sister purchased and then asked me about it and another free or complementary gift a $29.95 value from Nuance when I purchased Dragon Dictate.

I never opened either of them. Funny, I ran Sophos last night a found 2 threats. I had to laugh as they were probably a PC virus. They were in my email Attachments I remember the emails as they came to me in a "funny" manner but were from a friend in some very old archived data. 2003 emails.

MacKeeper has a slick interface......very pretty. That's all I can say about it.

R: click on the infection in Sophos and it will take you to you to a web page that gives you all the info about a threat.

R: click on the infection in Sophos and it will take you to you to a web page that gives you all the info about a threat.
    Yep, I did. I forget the name a 32W/... it was a winders threat. Funny it's been in my computer's email attachments for about 8 years.

So I dropped $ 40 on something useless -- hardly the first time but very annoying. Anyway, my speed is way up so my ISP may have been having an issue. Also hardly the first time.

You never know. It might pay off one day.