Thread: Mount point question

Default Mount point question

RE: Leopard 10.5.8. I know the mount point in Disk Utility for the system drive is just /.

However, I could have sworn that in my Finder window at the top, there was a / followed by the name of the hard drive (/HardDrive), but now it just says /.

Here's what preceded this occurrence: I had been using CCC to backup to an external drive. This drive has a partition for the system drive, then another partition with folders for 3 other drives. After about 3 days of backups, all of a sudden the backup drive's system partition would no longer backup. CCC said the external drive had not been ejected properly and that the mount point had been changed. They are always ejected properly. Now when I plug it in, it will stay mounted on the desktop until I attempt to run disk utility on it or try to backup to it again. The second non-OS partition does still back up properly.

I have run TechToolPro, the disk utility repair, etc.

I don't care much about the backup drive as I can just reformat and do it again (maybe this time with SuperDuper! or other?), but I do wonder why any Finder window no longer lists the name of the drive after the slash. It is as though I deleted the name of the drive, but the name is on the drive icon.

What could cause this to disappear and how to repair it? Is it a sign that there is something soon to go wrong? Thank you!

/ is the default mount point, so you are OK there. Nothing to worry about.

Not sure about the rest of the issue, but if the box boots and runs, your OK. As for the other volumes......hard to say. Would be smart to format one at a time if you can, and see how the drive behaves, just to be sure it is not a hardware issue.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thank you Unclemac.

Because I want to know, though... when you double click your (boot) system hard drive, doesn't the top of your window show "/name of hard drive" ? I'm 99% sure mine did, because when it disappeared, I noticed immediately and looked to see that I hadn't deleted the HD name by accident (I didn't).

When I boot from my Tiger OS hard drive, it shows the name after the slash.

What could have made the name disappear and is there a way to get it back?

I have a feeling the backup problem has to do with that name disappearing, because as soon as the name disappeared and I tried to back up that OS drive, that's when CCC told me its mount point had changed, therefore the clone drive would no longer back up and the clone drive would unmount automatically.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Yes it does say the name of the drive

Using the Finder "Go" menu choose Go To Folder then type in /Volumes Each Mounted drive should be listed in there only once. See if you have another item in there with the same name as your hard drive. If so move it out of there and restart. If this is the issue that should take care of it
    Damien,

Thanks! What I get is aliases to the hard drives, and they are all named correctly. I don't have an extra one.

Thumbs up

Ah, I was not following. Glad you gents sorted it out.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I didn't sort it out, unfortunately. The drive works, but I don't get the name of the hard drive following the slash on the window, as I should be getting when I double click the hard drive. I don't know what made it disappear and I want to get it back.

The day it disappeared was the day that CCC said the mount point has changed and that it no longer could back up that drive. I think these issues are related.

Follow up: I created a new test account to see if this naming issue persisted under a different user account. It does not; it works as it should.

With this new user account, when I open each hard drive, the window shows the drive icon followed by the name of the drive, as it should.

Whereas on my main account, the OS drive just shows drive icon then /. Each other drive has icon/Volumes/name. So something must have gotten corrupted somewhere.

Which brings me to the question: how easy it is to start fresh either with a new account or reinstall or whatever? Not that I'm having issues with my main account (although I do get the fans kicking in quite a bit lately), but the new account did seem more "like a new computer". But I need my other stuff! but would like to eliminate what "stuff" it was that corrupted this in the first place.

And on the subject of accounts, do you use your administrator account all the time (for work and internet) or a standard?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I use an admin account for everything.

In your home folder (user account folder) there is a folder called 'Public' Anything you put in there will be available to any other account. Easy way to move your stuff. \

Also Migration Assistant would do the job but I am not sure it works on the same drive.. don't know much about it.
    Damien,

Migration Assistant will only work on another HD (or another Mac).

There are few ways to move data between user accounts, but I don't have a handy guide available.....