Thread: iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7

Default iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7

Who Betty, I pulled the trigger on a refurbished iMac. Thanks for all the MacGurus advice. Rick I knew you where right about your mac never being too fast. And Greentree I held out for the latest version. I was flummoxed (oh I like auto spellcheck) by the fact that I didn't get one with the HD. Thought I had ordered one. Nope. No matter, I can't fill up the 256 SSD right now anyway. I was surprised that instead of 4 GB of RAM it came with 8 GB, on top of that it's got the 2 GB video card. So I didn't get what I ordered, but it's actually nicer, just no HD.

I was hoping to move all the "junk I've collected" over the years, before moving to the new machine. Is there some software that will help with that? What I've found so far doesn't seem worth the time or money.

I'm going to backup Lion and store it. Quickbooks Pro 2010 doesn't run on Lion, and I don't want to give them anymore money for Mac software that doesn't work like it should. Then migrate for the "old" iMac.

So far the new iMac makes me

Will that mac come with restore discs for 10.6? if not let me know and I'll image mine for ye. I was tempted by 2gb GPU but it really makes no difference at the moment apparently. Lions auto spellcheck is very handy. my wife likes hers. She just got the 11" MBA. oh and I've also just got the 2.2 i7 15" for work. never have my macs been so highly spec'd and up to date!

I have to admit, I absolutely detest the auto spell check. It can leave behind an inappropriate word for the task and that word can be really hard to catch. Other problems like putting abreviation for Time Machine "TM", spell check will always convert it to the trademark symbol. I am always finding somehting about auto spell that I detest. If I could figure how to leave spell check on but take out auto I aould again be happy.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up Congrats

I nave no big need yet, and a list of other priorities but I've been looking at another iMac...

The 21.5" I think as a 27" would be just to big I think. Maybe Christmas or next Spring, or Fall...

I've wondered if a faster non Quad core would be as better/faster choice for my needs ? I should find a good buy on an i7 by then.

I love that A machine. Nice buy.

Talking

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    ...I could figure how to leave spell check on but take out auto I aould again be happy.
    Oh, the sweet irony.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

A that should have been whoa Betty, I wonder if that was auto spell check. Then again, flummoxed is not a word I was knowing how to spell. I guess there are always pluses & minuses to these things.

Thanks for the offer Greentree! I actually have them from the old iMac. And no the new one didn't come with any disks, only Lion loaded on it. It's the wave of the future, I guess.

I haven't ever had the latest fastest of any Mac before. I must say there is a very noticeable increase in the speed. And though I have notice speed increases in prior improved models, it's nothing like this is. As long as the SSD doesn't go South on me I am sure I will be happy with this Mac for some time to come.

I'm still ing!