Thread: UPS or iMac power switch going bad?

Question UPS or iMac power switch going bad?

Over the past 2 or 3 months their have been about 3 times when I press my iMac's power button nothing happens. Just like it was unplugged.

It happened this morning again. Twice now I've unplugged the iMac from my UPS and plugged it into the wall it booted fine. I shutdown and plug it back into the UPS and its fine.

Any thoughts? UPS works fine otherwise. We get power fluctuations and outages and it always kicks into battery mode easily without disruption.

Randy

Unhappy

I'm having the same problem with my G4 1.4.
    When I hit the power button first thing in the morning ..... nothing .... unplug the cord from the back, plug back in and .... good for all day and night.

If I shut it down say for all night .... next morning .... do the same thing as the day before.
    This has been going on for about 6 months.

I started a thread about it a while back, but nobody responded.
    Maybe someone will have an answer that we both can use!

h

Wonder if the battery is dead and the PMU is going south because of that?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I thought the same thing, so bought two new batteries.
    Still does the same thing.
    Can't see it being the power cord ... because when I unplug the cord, then plug back in ... every things fine.

Don't know jack about the power switch ...

More comments needed!

h

I'm looking at a 2 year old iMac that has done this 3 times over 6 months maybe a year. I might not have fully pressed the damn power button. Except last time or start of this thread. Someone else also tried then.

I tossed out the idea of my UPS or Battery backup / surge system. An APC 800 - I've never experienced the symptoms of a bad one. I think if that were my issue the problem would be more consistent.

On the G4 could be switch, but battery or PMU sounds more likely. A OF Reset or PRAM zap might clear it up if it's not a hardware issue.

I'm okay with gremlins for now.

So am I for now!
    If you ever find anything out .... post it on this thread .... even if it's down the road in the future.

over and out, h