Thread: Mac OS Lion with Lycom Card

Default Mac OS Lion with Lycom Card

Before I upgrade to Lion, I am trying to make sure all will go well. The Lycom eSATA 2 Port PCIe Host Card doesn't seem to have a Lion Driver yet. Am I wrong? Their website is difficult to navigate and find things. If not, how long after the release of Snow Leopard did it take them to have a driver? Without it, my burly bay is just a piece of desk decoration if I upgrade to Lion.

We have not even begun testing on Lion.

I would not expect drivers from most developers for several to many months if the new OS is actually 'new'.. Some OS upgrades are more major than others when it comes to drivers. And some drivers may work just fine - but no one will really know for a while. Even testing by developers and the very intense stuff that MacGurus will do is not nearly enough to truly prove that a new OS isn't going to break things. Until tens of thousands of end users run it through every imaginable configuration and combination of hardware and software, it really isn't tested.

You would not catch me dead on a production machine running a new OS. A home or 'toy' computer, sure, no prob. But something I make a living on - no way. Not until it has been completely wrung out by the early adopters.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I agree with Rick. Snow Leopard's still looking great on my desk. But yes... I also shave 2 FW backup setups that I will need to know they will work before I install 10.7 or aka Lion.

I like to sit back a while, but thats just me.

well i cloned the OS HD, then upgraded to Lion. the driver indeed does not work. so i rolled back after messing around a little bit in the new OS. it seems a little lighter and quicker, the same way Snow Leopard was to Leopard... but there's also a lot of fluff. launch pad? that's what the dock is! mission control? get this iOS garbage out of here. is this an OS or a video game??? back to snow leopard for a few months.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I have 2 firewire 800 bridges I got from Rick seem to work just fine as does my Plextor (PX810SA) DVD burner. My Raid and my 200gig external SATA are working fine, Apple driver on that raid. Running a Firewire 800 repeater (hubish thingy) I have the Burly Mini that is also working fine. I will test my LG Blu-Ray burner here in a bit

Oh yeah I run a second screen on my iMac. It's a Benq and it works fine as well
    Damien,

Damien,

That's with 10.7 installed?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Yep

10.7 Lion 4 gb ram 3.06ghz 24" iMac
    The LG BluRay burner has now been tested and working fine
    Damien,

Default Mac OS Lion with Lycom Card

I was able to get my eSATA RAID drives to boot up in Lion after I downloaded the latest driver from Silicon Image.

Driver Name: SiI3124_2.0.5u_Sil_Pkg

Link: http://www.lycom.com.tw/drivers%20Download.htm

Good luck. ~Leo

- - - - - Warning - - - - -

Silicon Image 3124 Version 2.0.5 is ANCIENT. Do not use in any computer running Snow Leopard or newer!

Latest current driver version for the 2 port cards is 1.2.5.0 from Silicon Image.

Latest version for the 4 port Silicon Image 3124 card is version 2.1.4.

So far testing shows the SNow Leopard driver works pretty well for the 4 port 3124 card. Not finished, only one days worth of testing and this takes quite some time.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    - - - - - Warning - - - - -

Silicon Image 3124 Version 2.0.5 is ANCIENT. Do not use in any computer running Snow Leopard or newer!

Latest current driver version for the 2 port cards is 1.2.5.0 from Silicon Image.

Latest version for the 4 port Silicon Image 3124 card is version 2.1.4.

So far testing shows the SNow Leopard driver works pretty well for the 4 port 3124 card. Not finished, only one days worth of testing and this takes quite some time.

Rick
    I don't suppose the 2 port card has a working Lion Driver yet?

I have not yet heard anything. Usually it comes as a total surprise.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default 2.0.5 works and is recent

Hey Ricks and others,

Just a heads up; the SIL3124 version 2.0.5 driver has exactly the same release date as the driver you mention to be the latest and, according to the SIL website, should be compatible with snow leopard. However thanks to your warning I put 1+1 together and installed the 2.0.5 driver because I have already spent a long night in install hell anyway. Good news is, it works perfectly (or at least has for the last 30 minute). Furthermore I agree that this is not production machine material.

The difference between the drivers is the RAID compatibility; the drivers linked by ricks DO NOT support raid; the 2.0.5 (it's revision 5 I think) are the SATARAID5 drivers which do support the raid functions.

As said, they both seem to be working under Lion, proceed at your own risk.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by cygnusfear View Post
    Hey Ricks and others,

Just a heads up; the SIL3124 version 2.0.5 driver has exactly the same release date as the driver you mention to be the latest and, according to the SIL website, should be compatible with snow leopard.
    Alex,

Need to be precise here.

For the 4 port Silicon Image 3124 cards

Version 2.0.5 is an older Universal (NON RAID) Driver and DOES NOT WORK properly in Snow Leopard.

Version 2.0.5.0 is the RAID5 Driver and is current. (personally, I have never found the software RAID5 driver from Silicon Image to be stable enough or reliable enough. I am more than a little hesitant to recommend it)

Version 2.1.4 is the Universal Non RAID driver that is recommended for Snow Leopard or Lion.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default Want to confirm driver info before Lion upgrade...

Have a Lycom PCIe SataII in a 2x2,8 Quad core xeon Mac Pro, card purchased from MG 4/08. Model number on the invoice is LYCeSATA-4e. Want to confirm I need to use the Lion driver noted on your Lycom host card page, file name SiI3124_2.1.4.0_Sil_Pkg. TIA.
    GT

PowerMac 2.8 Intel Quad
    Intel MBP

Yes. If you want to run Lion then run the 10.6/10.7 driver.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I saw this thread here:
    https://www.macgurus.com/forums/show...324#post128324

That indicates that there is now a working driver for the 2 port card, but I'm nots sure if that is for just the basic Burly cases or the eSATA ones with the port multiplier (like I have).

The Burly themselves don't really care what OS, the card does. The driver you get must operate the PCI, PCIe or Express34 card, then the Burly will work.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default Any word on this with Sonnet Driver for the Lycom - Mountain Lion

Any word on this with Sonnet Driver for the Lycom SATA III with Mountain Lion? Or a different driver needed?
    -kevin steele

For what card - 2 port or 4 port?

2 port card, use the Sonnet driver. 4 port card, just use the SL/Lion driver.

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JorWesFlow View Post
    well i cloned the OS HD, then upgraded to Lion. the driver indeed does not work. so i rolled back after messing around a little bit in the new OS. it seems a little lighter and quicker, the same way Snow Leopard was to Leopard... but there's also a lot of fluff. launch pad? that's what the dock is! mission control? get this iOS garbage out of here. is this an OS or a video game??? back to snow leopard for a few months.
    I appreciate your move. Creating a copy , especially clone, of OS is a great safe in case of hard disk failure or any other installation issue.