Thread: Mac Pro sometimes not detecting display

Default Mac Pro sometimes not detecting display

Greetings,

Recently, when I booted my Mac Pro, the main display came on, the gray apple appeared, and everything seemed normal. But then I just got blue screen. OS X wouldn't launch. Tried several hard reboots. Same thing. So I replaced the PRAM battery (which had been in for two years), held down the reset switch on the MB, and then rebooted. Everything looked fine.

But the problem I'm now having is that, on a seemingly arbitrary basis, I'll power the Mac Pro up and the display doesn't activate. The LED on the display stays orange, instead of turning blue (which indicates that it's getting a signal). I'm guessing that the Mac Pro THINKS it's connected, because in order to force a reboot I have to HOLD DOWN the power button on the front, rather than just pressing it. Then I reboot, and it's usually fine.

I've also tried zapping the PRAM from the Mac keyboard on startup. But nothing that I have tried has consistently caused it to either FIND or NOT FIND the display. The problem seems to be completely random.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    DM
    ••Mac Pro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 16GB, OS X 10.6.8, 2 Acer P201W displays

Ok, forum permissions reset - should work better.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

is it a 7300GT graphics card?

It's an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. And I just found out it's been recalled. Who knew?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3630

I'll be taking it to the Apple Store for a swap ASAP.

Good deal.

Oh, and holding the power button down to reboot is normal behavior. A standard for the last 5+ years.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yes, I'm aware of that. I should have elaborated.

Sometimes -- say, when the machine fails to even start booting (?) -- you can just push the power button and the machine will instantly go off. In the OP I was guessing that since I did have to hold it down, that meant that the machine was indeed proceeding with the boot process and just didn't realize that it wasn't talking to the display.

Thanks!
    DM

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    Oh, and holding the power button down to reboot is normal behavior. A standard for the last 5+ years.

That makes perfect sense.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin