Thread: Mail vs. Gmail

Default Mail vs. Gmail

My ISP (Virgin) has gone into cahoots with Google.

Result being, when I uprated my email accounts from POP to IMAP, all hell broke loose as inadvertently I'd allowed Google into my Mail program. It pops up as 'Gmail', and try as I might I can't delete the offending Gmail boxes. (Well, if I go offline I can, but as soon as I reconnect to the www, up they pop again). I've gone to my unwanted Google account, and deleted my membership of Gmail, but it hasn't done much good.

I could ignore them, I suppose, but an added bonus seems to be that I get thousands (I mean thousands) of old emails being downloaded as 'incoming messages'. Most of them go straight into Gmail bin/trash folders, but there seems no way of stopping them. At my ISP end, I've deleted every single email that was ever lodged there, but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Allen.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

are you using Apple Mail? If so (with mail not running) delete the file 'com.apple.mail.plist. from your user/library/preferences folder. Also from your User/library/mail folder delete anything that says any form of the word gmail or google. Empty trash and restart. You will likely have to reset preferences and maybe some account info so make sure you know the passwords on the accounts you want to keep
    Damien,

Hello Damien,

Yes, Apple Mail, iMac, 10.6.3.

I've found a workround for now, which was to forget all about IMAP and revert to POP in all cases. But I will bear your wisdom in mind when I can face it all again.

Virgin's website does list 'Configure your mail program' for some mail progs, such as Outlook, but specifically excludes Mac Mail, so whatever magic that configuration wand waves, it don't wave it in this direction.

Thanks for the clues.

Allen.

.....Are you referring to the Gmail folders down the left side of Mail?

If so that is iMAP goodness at work. Nothing wrong with it....good stuff. Simply showing you exactly what is on the server, as opposed to what is on your machine.

Yell if you want more 'splaining.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hello Unclemac...

Yes, those G folders down the side of MacMail were a bit annoying, but I could live with them.

It was the almost CONSTANT 'mail activity' that was driving me bonkers. Hundreds, thousands, of old emails, pouring in - mostly duplicates of messages, although I got way beyond the stage of actually checking them - and no way of stopping them. Hundreds ended up in InBoxes in the Gmail folders, from where I deleted them, but even though I'd scrubbed clean my ISP server in terms of all the old emails it was storing, nothing would stop them.

Except ditching IMAP completely and reverting to POP, which I did!

Allen.

Hmmm, interesting.

Wonder where the fault lies. Sounds like they are not actually deleting old mail, even though you were going through the motions.

My IMAP via Google mail has always worked wonderfully. It does commonly confuse folks coming off POP, but once you get it, it is (usually) great.

example 1: I respond to an email on my iPhone, then the sent message is not on my Mac. Makes it difficult to have the entire threaded conversation on a single device. So I look in the IMAP folder to see everything on the server, and there is all of my sent messages, regardless of email client, web interface, or device.

example 2: I read all of my mail while on the road on the iPhone. I get back to my Mac and all the flags are set correctly (read and unread). And visa versa. This is not possible with old school POP.

example 3: I check mail on multiple machines. Most old school POP hands out mail once, to the first mail client that asks for it.....which means my mail is all over the place. Disastrous.

I learned to ignore mail activity long ago, because I know that the power of IMAP is based on the idea that the mail needs to synchronize between the client and server, not unlike something like Dropbox. That means chatter and traffic.

Got spoiled with IMAP many years ago.....can never go back to POP.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Unclemac:

My reason for going POP to IMAP was different. I only ever access my emails from one place, my fixed position iMac.

But I have several email addresses, and only my primary and one secondary address were being left on the server after I'd picked them off. All the set-up settings were the same, but Virgin just wouldn't let me click the 'leave on server' boxes for the other addresses.

I was told, as it happens probably wrongly, that if I was on IMAP then all my incoming emails would be 'left on server' till I deleted them. So I switched, and then came the deluge. Currently, it does seem to be working better, all on POP, and it does suit my sedentary emailing style.

Allen