Thread: Disc Icon

Default Disc Icon

WE bought a Mac Clamshell Ibook online. We had never used MAC before so do no know much about them. This is an older laptop. When you turn it on, the center of the screen shows an icon that looks like a floppy disc with a question mark in the center of it that flashes. Nothing else comes up and it does not seem to let you do anything. We are trying to figure out how to get it to programs menu or whatever you need for startup on this type of computer.

Flashing folder like that means it cannot find a viable operating system. THis can be that the OS install is bad or that the hard drive is not working. You will need to get a MAC OS CD and boot to it to find out if the computer is good or not.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Ok,

I will have to see if I can get one of those discs to try to reload somehow. They did not send us any when we ordered on Ebay.

Sorry for the trouble.

Things to be aware of:

- That machine is very old.
    - It has lots of limitations, including adding RAM, hard to replace the hard drive, and can't run very modern software.
    - Based on its age, I would expect the hard drive needs to be replaced, even if that is not the cause of this issue.
    - The battery likely needs to be replaced to have any untethered run time.
    - The disks you need are getting to be a bit rare, and may cost more than the machine is worth.
    - It is possible the optical drive may be on the fritz (not uncommon with vintage portables), which could prevent you from (easily) reloading software.

I totally get wanting a bargain laptop, but I really doubt that this is a good machine for you, unless you are mac tech head, or like to tinker. If the seller sold it as a good working machine with no issues, I would recommend you consider taking this opportunity to send it back for a refund. Can I ask what you paid for it?

Yell if you have any questions, or want recommendations on what to get, and what things are worth.

Happy to assist! Good luck.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

dead motherboard battery will cause that as well
    Damien,