Thread: Disk Activity monitoring utility?

Question Disk Activity monitoring utility?

Hello Gurus:

I'm experimenting with Crashplan and Pro Tools, and they seem to be fighting over the hard drives.

Is there a utility out there like Activity Monitor that will let me see not just how much disk access is going on, but what processes are eating up which drives and by how much?

Thanks in advance for tips. By the way, Backblaze and Pro Tools work well together.

Nathaniel Reichman
    music producer re-recording mixer
    (518) 966-2226
    Last edited by NReichman; 06-17-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Activity Monitor is in your Utilities folder and will do most of what you ask.
    Damien,

CrashPlan is a great tool IMHO, BUT:

It has a continuous backup feature, plus the idea is to let it "trickle" in the background to not saturate CPU and network. I haven't tested, but would assume that these features/design would cause significant disk activity. I would also assume that recording editing tracks would cause nearly continuous change to files, triggering continuous backups.

If it were me in your situation, I would schedule CrashPlan to backup when I was not working (middle of the night......), and see if Pro Tools is happy.

Don't get me wrong, the continuous backup is a killer feature, but mostly for saving Word docs and spread sheets. Audio and video is a whole other thing with regard to disk, RAM and CPU load.

The other thing to consider would be to figure out which files or directories are being backed up while you work, and exclude those......assuming you don't need them backed up.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

In only one day of testing I've discovered that CrashPlan only fights Pro Tools while scanning. Scanning 9 drives and over 4 terabytes took 1.7 hours. Now it's trickling into the cloud and Pro Tools is not bothered at all.

With these zippy Macs and modern drives, I'm interested in getting the absolute most out of them, and not being gentle or exclusive. Pro Tools has also gotten more durable over the years.

Ah, I see. Yes, crash plan does an initial scan to know what is there to do the incremental back ups later on. Much like spot light indexes hard drives.

CrashPlan does scan before each back up, but my experience is that after the first one, they are pretty fast. I did some looking out of curiosity, and found this. Only scanned the long post, but some interesting things to learn. Hope you don't have the long scan issue, or one of the fixes listed works for you.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin