Thread: Create bootable disc

Default Create bootable disc

I'm using synchronize proX and want to create a bootable drive on a portable external drive. (MAC)

the directions say to pick the folders I want to copy onto the portable drive, but I'm not clear what needs to be copied -- the Systems folder, Library, Users ... What all needs to be copied over to the new drive to make it bootable?

Thanks!

Geoff

The system OS or at least enough of it to boot.

I'd erase the destination disk with Disk Utility first.

I don't think SynchronizeX Pro will do it, not least without selecting all the invisible folders. you should use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper

To copy a system drive just select the entire drive. If there is stuff in it you don't want to copy - like applications or USers Directory, then under Options in the pull down menu select 'Don't Copy Files' and select those folders that you do not want or need.

SyncPro can copy anything any way you want it. Just have to go through the steps.

And as stated, there are tons of folders you cannot even see on a bootable drive. You need to go at the other way around to only copy the bootable part.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

To just boot - You could also just install an entire new OS and just keep it small if needed. From the Mac to the FW Drive and it should be faster.

My 2 cents,
    Yes I use CCC and keep a bootable FireWire drive available,
    Copy everything.
    Past that I use Toast and keep a " Hard Copy " on DVD,
    I don't trust simply HDs anymore
    Trick is make sure to repair permissions etc,
    Make sure everything is up to date and running smoothly.
    Back-Up is a great thing to have.
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Chronosync has been really reliable for me. I regularly update a synchronized clone of my studio hard drive, and use it as a way of bringing a portable version of my studio with me wherever I go.

In Chronosync you have to choose the "bootable" option.

Good luck.