Thread: Mail app question - just curious

Default Mail app question - just curious

When sending email mostly (cuz my face is looking)... In the bottom left corner "Mail Activity" see a blue progress bar that usually says 1 of 1 and file size, or 2 of 2, 3 of 3....

I'm not coordinated enough to get a screen shot.

Question is... Why does it "randomly - it seems" say... 1 of 1 and file size, or 2 of 2, 3 of 3.... When I know I'm only sending 1 email or file? What's it counting?

Huh. Should only say how many are being sent. I don't know why that would show more than 1 if you are only sending a single email. Unless you have a CC on it.....
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

No CC's ... that's why I'm asking. very curious.

Last year I was curious if I was being used as a spam sender? Don't really even understand it.

So I've often wondered if my "mail" was sending more?

I'll watch it better and post anything. What I'm seeing now.... maybe... is....

It seems that if I "just send" a new message it's usually fine.
    It seems to happen more on a "reply"
    It seems later in the day "might be worse" - I once thought it might be a cumlative count of in or out going but nope.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

If you have one that didn't go when you think it did it will try again next time you send or next time it automatically checks mail. Also if you use iCal email alerts these will be in there as well. Any other app that sends email using your default email client (Mail) will also show up in there

If you want to see what the mail is, leave Mail's activity window open and it will show you the name of what's being sent. Look in the window menu for that.
    Damien,

If you have one that didn't go when you think it did it will try again next time you send or next time it automatically checks mail. Also if you use iCal email alerts these will be in there as well. Any other app that sends email using your default email client (Mail) will also show up in there
    I've been giving all of this and other ideas thoughts. I dont believe it's a sitting email and I don't use iCal for that purpose.

I'll open and watch my window better. It goes so fast. My outgoing mail only shows "what I send"

I have wondered if I've been put on some SPAM list or sender -- last year I got an email sent to about 5 to 8 email addresses. It was from me as I recall or my email was on the list. All 5 to 8 addresses were take off's of mine.

I only get about 10 SPAM's a week if that.

Could be IMAP synchronizing with the server. Are you using POP or IMAP?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Using POP

When your in the mail app you can take a look at the Sent mail and see what has been sent.

When your in the mail app you can take a look at the Sent mail and see what has been sent.
    The only thing in "my sent" or sitting at the server are all mine -- nothing strange. cept me.

Hmm....can't add anything.

Watch activity monitor for mail, and see what it is doing. Think all my mail is IMAP, so I can't really say what to expect with POP. Keep in mind that outbound is SMTP.

Oh, and do any of these messages have attachments? Or a styled signature?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Never use signatures.

My most likely guess... an attachment here and there, or an email was sent to 2 or more people, some of my reply's might be the culprit.

I don't think anything malicious is going on.