Thread: USB powered hubs. Problems?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default USB powered hubs. Problems?

I've got a Belkin powered USB hub, and most of the time it's fine; just sits there, plug things in, they work, no problems.

But there are a few devices that just HAVE to be plugged into one of the three USB ports on the iMac, directly, and malfunction if you try them through the hub. (For example, the Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse, the Elgato Video Capture device, and an external CD player).

I just wondered whether there was a way round this, as I'm running out of ports. I tried a 'dongle' hanging out of the back of the iMac, but found it would only support a single external device (of the 'problem' ones listed above).

Thanks.

Allen.

sounds like a power issue. perhaps your hub doesn't output enough power for these devices.

Belkin support says the same thing: they state that each port can provide 500m/A.

Which is fair enough, except that finding out what USB power each device needs isn't easy. For example, the manufacturer's spec. on the Samsung DVD drive says it uses 6 watts, but no mention of m/A. (It doesn't have a mains lead - just its USB connection).

Can I have a quick lesson in electricity please?

Allen

And, as a way round the problem, are there powered USB hubs on the market which allow for higher powered devices?

(Sorry for double-post: for some reason, I can't edit...)

A

Most USB ports are 500mA @ 5V, or 2.5 W

For future reference Power = Current X Voltage.

6w seems a little high

I'm quoting from the only source I could find on the 6w, which was Amazon's extended product spec.

Someone's told me that no USB powered port can exceed 500m/A as that's the USB 2.0, and that's it! True or false?

Allen