Thread: External Hard Drive Error Message -36 & -48

Confused External Hard Drive Error Message -36 & -48

Hi everyone, I'm having a problem with my external hard drives which I've listed in detail below... Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

1. Computer A (iMac 17") was connected to a daisy chain of 4 external hard drives . *

2. We connected a 5th external hard drive to the chain (in order to move some files), however, that 5th drive was still connected to Computer B (a MacBookPro laptop).

3. All 5 drives were now visible on Computer B's screen. Realizing this could be weird (both connected at same time), we decided to eject the hard drives from Computer B by dragging to the 'eject icon' or clicking the 'eject icon' next to the 4 drives in the Finder.*

[FYI The audio recording program Pro Tools was running *on Computer A during all this]

4. We then rebooted the iMac and its 4 external hard drives. *

5.After which, Computer A experienced the following problems and error messages with all four external hard drives:

Problem : We were not able to create a new document, copy or delete files, due to error message -48 and -36

Error message #1: "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data could not be read or written. (Error code -36)

Error message #2: "Could not create a new document because A file with the specified name already exists (-48) while creating [file name here].

6. We then tried reconnecting one of the 4 drives back to Computer B (the laptop) in the hopes of being able to back up some of the files therein; *and received an error message saying that "the data on the drive was in danger and to back it up immediately and reformat the drive." *The attempted backup failed. *

7. One final attempt was made to mount this same drive back to Computer A but the drive never mounted.

So....not sure what is going on. Was just having both computers connected simultaneously the issue? Or was ejecting disks from Computer B the issue? Was the fact that ProTools was running on Computer A a factor? Regardless, the hard drives now seem to have their signals crossed (a permissions issue?) and are sending out the dreaded error messages. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hard drives are not intended to be mounted on two computers at the same time. When a drive is mounted its index is opened. That process includes removing the endpoints on the index, those get closed when the drive is dismounted. Mounted on two computers at same time would create all sorts of conflicts - I am afraid I have never tried this and cannot list what all would happen.

If the data is not backed up then you will need to repair the drive indexes as best you can. Probably Disk Warrior would be the best choice. Or just eraser the drives and start over if the data is backed up properly.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Hi Rick, Thank you for the jumping right in on this and for the help! A couple more questions if you have the time...

If I back up the data to another drive will I run the risk of copying or moving these errors to the new drive?

After the data is backed up and I erase / reformat the problematic drives, will these drives be any more likely to fail than a similar drive that had not encountered this problem?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by br13
    If I back up the data to another drive will I run the risk of copying or moving these errors to the new drive?
    After the data is backed up and I erase / reformat the problematic drives, will these drives be any more likely to fail than a similar drive that had not encountered this problem?
    If you copy/clone the entire drive then yes the directory, indexing, file structure and terms Rick mention will copy over. That's okay, because "your data" should be fine. The data will not have problems. Erase a drive, get a new OS install and then move your "data only" back over. You could also just copy your data rather than the entire drive.

I would say no. It should be fine. I might suggest to "zero the drive" out. -- in Disk Utility - erase Tab - look under Security options . This should clear up most any directory or file structure on the drive.

As Rick said. Unless we find someone who has done what you have... it's hard to say or guess what issues might arise.

Thanks rwm! I just purchased a new 1 TB Glyph drive and am trying to back up the files now. This is what has happened:

Drive #1 does not show up when plugged into iMac, makes "ribbit" type of sound when turned on.

Drive #2 does not show up when plugged into iMac, makes clicking sound when turned on.

Drive #3 does not show up when plugged into iMac, makes clicking sound when turned on.

Drive #4 shows up when plugged into iMac. Backing up the data only from this drive to a new drive. There is a new folder that appeared on Drive #4 called "lost+found". Inside this folder is a folder called "92235", inside the following files:
    live.0shadowindexGroups
    live.0.shadowindexHead
    live.0.shadowindexPositionTable
    live.0.shadowindexTermids
    permStore
    shutdown_time
    store.db
    store.update
    tmp.SnowLeopard

Do these files shed any light on the situation? I'm praying drives #1 through #3 aren't fried... As always, any insight is greatly appreciated!

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Have you tried mounting the drive one at a time
    Damien,

Hi Damien, Yes, when I have tried mounting the drives one at a time and through different ports on the iMac... but no success.

Default tossing out ideas

No current backup? You are trying this all on FW - right? If you have access to a proper tower you could try putting drive #1 2 or 3 into it and see? The FW port must be good - you confirmed this? As it works on some drives right?

Can you boot to any Mac CD or DVD OSX Installer disk? This issue is testing my limited storage space. There are other around that will have thoughts. Let Easter weekend get over. Hopefully theres a reasonable solution. The forum regulars just amaze me around here both the members and mods.

Nope, no back up, my back up drive was included in the chain at the time that this happened.

This has all been FW, not USB and I can confirm that the FW port is working on the iMac as I've been able to successfully connect and use 4 other drives.

Thanks again

I would doubt that the drives have physical damage - nothing about attaching to two computers should do anything to the drive mechanically. If you can get them reformatted then the drives should be fine.

However, it is possible to corrupt a drive so bad that it can't be fixed.

Once again, I would probably recommend using Disk Warrior as having the best likelihood of repairing the index.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Rick. Forgive me if this is a silly question, but I'm not sure how to run disk warrior without the drives showing up on my computer?

Drives would have to be visible, however they would not necessarily have to mount for DW to work on them. Visible means you can see them in Disk Utility.

You might take the drives out of their Firewire enclosures and try them in a different working enclosure. POssible the firmware on the bridge got messed up.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

just to make it clear....

try mounting the problem HDs again, and see if Disk Utility "sees" the drives. That will let you know if you have a good chance of Disk Warrior repairing the directory.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin