Thread: SuperDuper! keeps "hanging"

Default SuperDuper! keeps "hanging"

Hi everyone!

This is my first post for a tech question. Hello to those who have already welcomed me and to those who have not seen me post before, I'm the proud owner of a 4 bay Burly

To back up my system, I'm using SuperDuper, which is now constantly hanging. I have to force quit it, upon launch, repeatedly (say 3-4 times) before I can get it to open properly.

I've used SD for a few weeks now. The first week was just fine, never had to force quit. Now it is a constant force quit before using. This is getting frustrating! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    MsNikon

Default Welcome, I saw your posts.

So the application or SD quits before you are even transferring data - right? My first thoughts...

Check for updates.
    Re run the installer
    Verify permissions

Was this the "free mode" or paid version of SuperDuper?

Hi rwm,

Thanks for your welcome!
    This is the paid version of SD, latest update (Version 87) What happens is I click on SD to open it and it just hangs, doing nothing or I get the spinning beach ball. Nothing happens at all and I must force quit the program. I do this by right clicking the SD icon in my dock; Force Quit is offered as one of the options.

A "Problem report for SuperDuper" is generated.

If SuperDuper is "attempting to do something" like index... it might tie that program up for a while? - just a guess. I installed mine 2 years ago and never had issues ... as I remember.

Seems funny "it would work" then go bad. I'd reinstall it. and /or write SDuper's support.

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    I'd reinstall it. and /or write SDuper's support.
    I'm going to email their support. Thanks!

I think first thing to try is download and reinstall. See if that fixes it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Give Uncle a chance to see this. He's worked much more with it than me. He'll have thoughts. Rick uses Synchronize Pro X I think or mostly.

Here's the plan: I'll download and reinstall and if that does not work, I'll have "Uncle" see it (don't know him yet ) and as a last resort, I'll email SD's support.

Thanks!!!

Still having problems, does this info from the "problem report" help at all?

I updated my OS recently, after doing the initial clones and additional backups of all data drives with SuperDuper. Can't say whether or not the problem began after the OS update.

Report:
    Date/Time: 2011-04-19 20:41:44 -0700
    OS Version: 10.6.7 (Build 10J869)
    Architecture: x86_64
    Report Version: 7

Command: SuperDuper!
    Path: /Applications/SuperDuper!.app/Contents/MacOS/SuperDuper!
    Version: 2.6.2 (87)
    Build Version: 2
    Project Name: SuperDuper!
    Source Version: 933
    Parent: launchd [125]

PID: 10596
    Event: hang
    Duration: 5.45s (sampling started after 2 seconds)
    Steps: 14 (100ms sampling interval)

I just used SuperDuper today. Backup right before the latest updates. It seems to me that since the introduction of 10.6, SuperDuper is not so speedy. It seems to hang went it starts up and prepares to repairs permissions. This happen on both Intel Macs and the latest updates to OS 10.6.

I have been just letting it "do it's thing" and leave it alone. Spends some time on that first phase of things, then it finally picks up and moves along. Maybe you should just let it hang for a while.

I have found this happens with certain software, it hangs. I will go up to force quit, select the item, and it loads. So I never actually Force Quit. That's what happened tonight with SuperDuper. But just a threat to Force Quit and it "behaves itself".

Hi all -

Been a while since I have used SD, been mostly using CCC and CrashPlan and TM lately. Never seen SD hang though.

Recently saw CCC hang on scheduled back ups of a 10.5 Server install....there were some good clues in Console log about what it was doing (over and over and over....), so I would say talk with support and/or check out SD or perhaps console logs.

Might try opening Console and watching logs while it runs. Sometimes there are juicy clues. Might also let it run a while as others have suggested. Some apps, in some configurations, can hog resources and appear unresponsive.

Sorry, nothing specific to add.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default 2 Duplicate suggestions

Two thoughts....

First, when / if it hangs just walk away a let it sit a long time. hours

Second, check your "console logs" was or is anything happening just before the "freeze" or force quit?

I've used SuperDuper both pre and post Intel Mac's without any issues.

Make sure your destination drive/s have been erased, are big enough to store your data.

Thank you all for your assistance and good information. What had me perplexed is that I made a huge switch from a Drobo (enough said) to the Burly with multiple hotswap backups. I cloned about 8 x 2 TB drives (all currently at about 50% capacity; my iMac's 1 TB internal is using 30% of capacity). This took well over a week to complete. Not one hang, or issue with SD during that phase, nor during the next week or so doing smart back ups. Then, when all my data was safe, I updated my OS, and it is possible that is when the hanging began. It is impossible to say for sure, so I won't blame it on that.

yeungfeng, I have been letting it hang for a while; a long while, and yes, SD did start up. The threat to Force Quit does not induce SD to "behave itself" on my system. It's worthwhile to know you have seen this and find SD is not as speedy anymore.

unclemac, thanks! your reputation proceeded you I'm sorry to say I'm just not knowledgeable enough with computers and software to check the console logs in the way you suggest. The clues may be juicy but I don't know that I could recognize them...

rmw, It did start up after allowing it to hang for over 7 minutes. Being spoiled and having SD do the above noted heavy work without hanging, that is how I would like it to behave going forward. My destination drives were all zeroed and are big enough to store my data. Thanks for the input.

I'm going to send an email to SD support tomorrow to see what they suggest. I'll post any relevant info that comes my way.

Sounds like the OS update broke the version of SuperDuper you have. May very well be that they don't have a compatible version yet. Happens. You should get an answer about that from the developer.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply. Wish I had been taking notes on this so I could be certain about the timing.

I do have copious notes on each of the drives, how long they took to zero, clone etc. FYI: the Hitachi 2 TB drives I purchased from MacGurus were all consistent within one second as to the time it took them to zero!

What was the outcome of the problem?

I wrote to SuperDuper about a problem a year or so back, and one of the guys that wrote the program emailed me back, which I think shows the quality of the company! Anyway, the problem was solved, and I've been running it without any hanging-ups ever since.

Allen.

Default check for... things watching the filesystem...

A long time after the fact, I thought I'd offer this observation.

Was trying a complete backup to a sparse bundle and had SD hang at mounting the disk image. After a lot of faffing about I killed the Sophos AV which was lurking in the background and suddenly SD was no longer hanging on the mount. It was still running very slowly though. Disabling Sophos completely and suddenly everything popped back up to a respectable speed.

Guessing Sophos was intercepting every disk write looking for virus activity and thus having a severe impact on throughput. Disabling it for the duration of the backup allowed everything to run normally.

Just thought I'd offer this in case it could help anyone else.

Cheers, E.

Good catch. Thanks for posting.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Indeed.

MIght add the to the troubleshooting (for similar issues) trying run a cloning/BU tool from Safe Mode to quickly disable any third party background processes...like AV software.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin