Thread: Spare screen for iMac

Default Spare screen for iMac

Hello all.

I'm thinking of buying one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dell-1909W-19-...item27b9c15e07

as a spare/back-up monitor for my 2007 2Ghz Intel iMac (17").

Any obvious reasons against it? I know it's a Dell, and not a Mac, but I can live with that, I hope! (Oh, 75 is about $120).

Allen.

Thumbs up

Nope, looks good. Get the correct iMac-to-DVI adapter (varies by model) and you should be good.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

One of our workstations runs a Dell flatscreen. Other than the radically huge color correction we had to make when we first got it, it works as well as all the Apple Cinemas that we have around here.

I think it is a good choice.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I can understand using it as an extended display but as a replacement? Or backup? Do you plan on smashing ur display? I haven't seen screens die due to age in iMacs.
    Last edited by Greentree_uk; 04-18-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typos from iphone

Greentree: extended display would be a better description!

Allen.

....And I am colorblind, so those Dells look great!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I'm colour-blind too, and the Dell looks fine to me - mind, when you look VERY closely you can see why Macs costs so much more - if the Dell screen scores 7 out of 10, then the Mac gets 9.9!

A