Thread: G4 got bloated - G4 PSU Compatibility

Default G4 got bloated - G4 PSU Compatibility

D/A G4 Tower 733. Had 4 HD inside and I was doing work on some large audio files At some point my machine was Shut Down and now wont boot. Wouldnt boot from OS 10.2 install. Target disk won't work -I've got a damaged firewire port (plastic tab broke off in a cable connection.) I removed the ECHO breakout PCI sound card, and reseated RAM. Took out drives one at a time and still didn't gain any progress except recognizing that some partitions on my last startup drive are not mounting when put into an ext enclosure.Tried booting from a bootable external USB drive- drive select option works but when I select a drive, I don't even get to the Apple screen and startup pinwheel that I used to get to. SO I am Trying to get my hands on a hardware test for OS 10.4 or something to help me narrow my issue down quicker.
    ...Reward the Long Day's Toil

Default Bloated and Broken Frankenstien PowerMac

Recognizing the diagnostics process could require replacing components, I've been considering buying an 800Mtz G4 with a bad PSU. Will power supply from the D/A work in a later model unit? Seems there's 6w more power generated by that PSU needing replacement than output by the one in my 733. Advice so I can keep a G4 as an audio dedicated workhorse? I can't use a PCI sound card in a PCI-X slotted G5 can I?

My first thought is no or at least not just a swap. I was real familiar with that bunch of G4's and have the info bookmarked or stored some place. Also a proper search in the Guru threads will find the answer also. It's been discussed. So if no one posts a response I'll probably find something by tonight.

G4's won't boot from USB or G5's for that matter. only intel machines. A DA PSU won't work in a QS machines. the DA has a separate lead for the ADC port power and the QS is integrated. Short of cannibalizing the cable, it won't. your sound card will work in a G5, provided it will run on 3.3 volts. 3.3v cards have a keyed part near the front of the card. like here http://www94.web.cern.ch/hsi/s-link/...slottypes.html

it sounds to me like you need diskwarrior. www.alsoft.com

Good luck.

Default Thanks on that PCI PCI-X affirmation.

Good to know that I can use the PCI card in my PCI-X slotted powerMac-.Should I see if maybe I can remove the firewire module on the G4 D/A or what is a diagnosis process or software for the non-booting D/A OSX10.4.11?