Thread: Mac Pro Won't Boot

Default Mac Pro Won't Boot

Hi,

This is my first post.
    Since few days am looking around for the same problem solution.

After a long standby, I woke up the Macpro by connecting the iPhone...did that few times before without any problem...usually I was just moving the mouse.

But then the Mac started and I could hear the fan from the graphic card turning like hell, while the white led in the front was just flashing at a regular tempo. Nothing on the creen.
    Turned off... Turned on... No shirme, nothing on screen, graphic card fan on high speed, no reaction on keyboard.
    Tried the voodoo reset after the usual process...left the whole night without RAM, cards, drives, pwr cable.
    Dismantled this morning, removed the dust (so much)...

No effect.
    Same thing...no sound, led flashing in the front, nothing on screen...

I have a Macpro 4x2.66...

What else can I do ?

Read somewhere that actually this is a really bad sign...logic board dead...

Hi,

I experience the same problem with my Macpro 4x2.66...

No sound, flashing front white led in regular tempo, nothing on screen, no connection with keyboard...
    HDs seem to mound, drives recognized...
    But the graphic card fan turn like hell...

Did the voodoo trick, left the whole night naked, unplugged, etc...removed the dust this morning...
    Still nothing!

:-(

Hope you don't mind but I moved your posts to a new thread. As your problem is somewhat different.

I think it might be your graphics card that has gone bad. which one is it?

Alright.

Sorry for double posting, I wrote again cause I thought the first post did not work.

Well I have 2 nVidia cards. The 7300GT and the 8800GT...
    But the problem still there when removing the big card or even both.
    Even removing graphic cards, pci -express fw card, battery, pwr cable, HDs,optical drives, RAM, nothing helps...

I just have no clue...

The pattern of the flashes may be important. Apple states:

One short flash followed by a longer off period: No valid memory.
    Three short flashes followed by a longer off period: Failed memory.
    There may be other patterns, but those are the two common ones.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

well, it's a non stop constant flash, no shorter, no longer...same speed, constantly flashing led...

voodoo did not help...

can you remove all ram but the original two that came with the machine. make sure they are in the right slots.

to Greentree_uk:

just tried your suggestion.

Booting.
    Have to plug the screen to be sure, but no flashing led, heard sound, and seems going on now.

What's next ?
    Putting the other RAM back ?

A big big thank.

Put the other RAM (14GB) back...no way to boot...put the original RAM...booting...

What shall I do ?

testing the RAMs...might be one of the slots which is damaged...will see...but seems on the good way...thx a lot to all...

Confirm...

Something wrong with either one slot pair on the memory card or bottom gold connectors.
    Now only 8GB recognized over 12GB. At least that's it and much better than having to repair of buy a new one.

Thx guys...

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I have had the bad ram experience. It can make you think everything in the computer is bad when it's only the ram.
    Damien,

bad ram, or bad riser cards can be a pain to figure out. but there is a button on the logic board on some of the mac pro's you can press and should light up bad memory.. not every model of mac pro has the button. some have led's that light up without the press of a button. indicating bad ram. don't think the 1st gen had this. also doesn't help that the ram slot configuration is different in different mac pro models.

great to hear your problem is sorted. and welcome to MacGurus.