Thread: Question: What Windows Maintenance Utility for BootCamp/Parallels

Default Question: What Windows Maintenance Utility for BootCamp/Parallels

Kind of a general question for everyone. What utility would or should we use on a Windows partition?

On a Mac we first look at Disk Warrior. Windows so likes to get itself kludged up that there has to be that one 'can't live without' utility.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Look for registry cleaners. Kinda different, as the cruft can be cleaned without booting to a different volume, so you can install and run the tool on the C drive.

Here's what I use: Advanced System Care 3 Free.

Also, they have a very good free defrag tool: Smart Defrag.

With these two free tools (plus a few good security/AV tools), I have been able to revive some pretty wonky XP boxes that had slowed to a crawl likely because of no maintenance over several years, without having to wipe and reinstall.

The biggest caveat: watch carefully during the install. They want to install a couple browser toolbars and other cruft. Just go slow, read and don't install any of the optional stuff.

And, if that weren't enough, they also have a similar free tool that you don't have to install. Totally portable, keep it on a flash drive and you are ready to go.

If you look, there are other similar tools out there, but most don't have such a good free version. These have been effective enough that I haven't yet had a need to move up to the paid version.

Another option: CCleaner. Simple and effective, no cruft last time I used it.

Remember: With a properly cleaned and maintained PC, Windows sucks less.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thank you. I'll start playing around with it.

Just ordered a new MacPro. My G5 is having trouble keeping up even with simple stuff. And the old MacPro has now moved to being a server. New STUFF! Yowser.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

New gear. Good deal.

One other benefit to the Advanced Care tool is that they also give a GUI to easily access other built in tools such as back up and restore, etc. Handy for those of us that don't have all the locations of all the admin tools memorized for all versions of Winders. Kinda like Cocktail and Onyx for Mac, much of the maintenance stuff is conveniently consolidated in on one spot. Which I like. I cuss at the PCs less trying to remember exactly where the tools are hidden.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

A new MacPro, now there's something to look forward to.

New MacPro is fast. I am enjoying all the work that goes into migrating several computers around. Got the new server set up and have myself on the new MacPro.

Typical Windows problem, when I try and run the Service Pack 3 update - it fails while telling me that there is not enough space to install the service pack files, that I need to delete some files and make room for 30 MB or so.

Humbug.

The XP install is fresh, there is no added applications - yet. And I have a 500 GB Winders drive, with 460 empty and the Winders Update Wizard cannot locate enough space to dump 30 MB.

So right off I am trying Uncle's recommended applications. I will post back!

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Ok, so CCleaner freed up almost 300 MB of space on a nearly empty disk. Service pack 3 quit with the error that I need 4 MB more space and that I should delete some files.

Stoopid wizards. Damn but Winders has some seriously lame features.....

The trauma continues.

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

So I see the old rule of freeing up 10x of what Winders asks for is still not enough....

If this is a VM, can't you expand the Win volume on the fly? Older VMWare would not if I remember correctly, but v.3 will.

Open the VM Library widow, select Settings/Hard Disks, and you should see a slider to adjust (VM must be off, not just suspended). Add a GB or 3, and give it a whirl again.

Yes/no?

Update: Doh!

Missed the bit about the 500GB Win HD. Stoopid indeed.....

So far updating to Service Pack 3 has been a failure. The service pack downloads, prepares itself to install, but the upgrade wizard fires up, checks the hardware and firmly states, with that wonderful error bong, that there ain't no room. Even though there is enough room for it to go there a million times or so.

BTW, tried to migrate my winders install from my old MacPro by moving the drive over - no go. Installed in a different computer it does its hardware check early in the boot, stops with a window that states: Windows has detected a significant hardware change. You must reactivate Windows within 3 day. And then it has 2 buttons Continue or Quit. Problem is, all input devices are inactive on a BootCamp partition at that stage of the boot. No way to move the pointer or press activate either button. Hard shut down only option.

So I had to make a new BootCamp drive, reinstall Windows from scratch and do all the insane number of updates and service packs. Then reinstall all the software and copy the data files over from the old drive.

I cannot help but think: Holy Shit Batman, Windows users put up with this crap as a matter of course.

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I must laugh here !!!
    "Windows users put up with this crap as a matter of course."
    Yes !!!
    Though they may look the same , and attempt to perform the same functions, even using the same hardware , they are different animals...
    Windows 3.0 vs Apple7.?
    I always wondered how Microsoft became so popular ???
    I keep a little laptop running XP as friends as me questions,
    And as that is their best build it is still seems stupid, and and almost as silly as the first.
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Laughing even harder,
    Wizards ???

I actually finally got Service Pack 3 installed. Had to get a little application form Microsoft that changes the registry and makes Windows think it has not already installed the service pack, that in fact it had not installed. Windows is FUN (snort). Sure makes OSX look easy.

R
    Last edited by ricks; 05-28-2011 at 10:26 PM.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Macaholic View Post
    I must laugh here !!!.......
    I always wondered how Microsoft became so popular ???........
    Rick, I am laughing at you too.

Macaholic, advertising lies, that's what did it

Let's not forget it's still ugly...
    Damien,

I don't mean to be cruel here ....
    But why would anybody want to run Windows on a Mac ?
    I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer but it seems silly.
    I'll throw it at you in a different way...
    I play music,
    Lots of people tell me about a little boxes they found that emulate a Marshall or Fender Amplifiers.
    I say why not go purchase a Marshall or the Fender?
    Laugh with me !!!!!!

I gots two good reasons to run Winders on a Mac.

1) It lets me learn just enough to help customers who are on a PC.

2) Now and then even and old guy like me wants to play a game that isn't on a Mac. (Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion and last year was Dragon Age)

I learned how to really love OSX!

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin