Thread: Japan hit with 8.8-8.9 quake

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Default Japan hit with 8.8-8.9 quake

Depends on which article you read could have been an 8.9 might be 'only' 8.8

Is MacJapan actually in Japan? Last I knew he was in the states. Anyway I hope our Japanese members are all ok along with good thoughts and concern for all of Japan.

Tsunami warnings were issued for all of the Pacific basin but have now been lifted for some areas. Cali expecting between 6" and 6' depending on your area. Hawaii people should take a scenic tour of the higher ground today

Reuters article

8.8 and above makes even California people wake up and take notice
    Damien,

I see that. Damn, it's a big sucker.

One hell of a massive disaster. This is an awe inspiring video:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4579888/i...shore-in-japan

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Horrible. Beyond hollywood's worst nightmare. Saw some feed yesterday over a large town that used to have about 70,000 people. Mostly just foundations now....like off the end of the runway at LAX. Looks like the water took about 90% of it away. Very eerie and surreal.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected, lost, and their loved ones.

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Mostly just foundations now....like off the end of the runway at LAX. Looks like the water took about 90% of it away. Very eerie and surreal.
    Amazingly crazy... wow. Have not seen or heard that yet. Watching the nuclear plants.

Default why the nuclear reactors are not the huge danger

Great read. Author makes the case that the media is way off on portraying the nuclear reactors as the hazard they were in Chernobyl

http://bravenewclimate.com/2011/03/1...e-explanation/

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Certainly there is a danger but not the way the media is portraying.

Fox (Faux) News was in rare form Saturday, predicting doom and radioactive gloom for the entire West Coast USA from this.

All networks are using scare terms though, 'Major Nuclear Incident' well yes it certainly is but that term means one thing to the IAEA and quite a different thing to those who listen to the news as if it WEREN'T ratings driven.
    Damien,

Funny that Fox and NPR seem to be on about the same page. Heard a bit of the NPR take today, and a greenpeace type (no nuke position), was making hay out of this. His tone said: "See Nuke is bad and dangerous. Now it has come home to roost."

Wish they would have read Rick's link first for some facts and perspective.

Not that surprised by either network. If it bleeds (or radiates) it leads. We'll see over the next few days/weeks if cooler heads and facts prevail, or if there is a big, evil, government conspiracy coverup.

Sad that this will likely be a real distraction from the true and massive loss of life and property caused by the Tsunami.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I'll have to admit, I don't watch tv. Don't even GET tv, figuratively OR literally. Only NetFlix, and that isn't exactly current events, if you know what I mean. The big media culture wars are outside my orbit these days. I checked out.

I gotta say though, using the massive earthquake in Japan to further anti nuclear goals... seems really stupid, lame and despicable. Like using the Tucson shooting to go after guns, or one kid, of half a million playing ball dying on the baseball field, used to litigate metal bat companies out of business. One off, hugely weird events used to further otherwise incoherent goals.

Can't believe that so many people are so wishy washy that presidential opinion polls move more than 10 points after just one speech. Who are the 10% that a single, manipulative speech can swing their opinion, on the spur of the moment, from one opinion to the opposite? Who the fuck is going to change from pro nuke to anti nuke just because a once in a zillion year super earthquake in Japan causes big problems? Problems that so far have been pretty well handled?

Shit, some people are really unthinking herd animals.

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I've been out of touch with the computer or much news.

What are your guys recent thoughts? Same? Changed? So much propaganda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I'll have to admit, I don't watch tv. Don't even GET tv, figuratively OR literally. Only NetFlix, and that isn't exactly current events, if you know what I mean. The big media culture wars are outside my orbit these days. I checked out.
    Well I pay for TV - Don't know why because I don't watch it. A while back I dropped my Netflix but I am about to shut TV off and get Netflix back. Because I can get about 5 to 7 channels here free. All 3 networks, 2 local and a Fox I think with rabbit ears. 2 or 3 are even HD.

I wouldn't have TV if it wasn't for my daughter. My son and I get our fix from the internet. I also have Netflix.

As for the BS They have toned it down some. But they still use provocative words and phrases. (Because they're ratings-driven whores)

How much radiation can we expect in the USA? Should people on the West Coast be worried? Tune in tonight at nine for answers!

Of course the answers are 'almost none' and 'no'
    Damien,