Thread: Does the Lycom Sil3132-based card allow sleep in Snow Leopard?

Default Does the Lycom Sil3132-based card allow sleep in Snow Leopard?

Hi, and greetings from Athens.

I've been trying to figure out what the optimal strategy for eSATA is, in terms of compatibility with Snow Leopard.

It appears that Sil3132-based cards (like the one offered by MacGurus) are very nice, but require a driver --- SiliconImage3132.kext. On the other hand, Marvel 9123 and 9128 chipsets are supported natively by MacOS X.

In my tests, the Sil3132 behavior is much nicer in all respects (e.g. can be hot-plugged, and handles hotswap without crashing), except for one - it disables timed sleep in Snow Leopard. Manual sleep is still possible, though.

What's your experience on this peripheral, albeit important issue?

TIA

Xen

3132 is the most common chipset anywhere. Also least expensive and one of the lower performance chipsets. It has no issues that I am aware of relating to sleep. I would have heard, over the years we sold thousands of them.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks. I'll keep trying...

Any chance there is something else causing the sleep issue? Other hardware or software?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin