Thread: Getting data off a PC laptop via USB

Default Getting data off a PC laptop via USB

One of my most favorite nieces -- okay my favorite -- has a laptop PC running Vista. It's got virus troubles. We want to pull music and photo's and reinstall the system.

Can or how best can I go about using my IcyDock's USB? I think my only real question is how to format the drive and do I dare use a large partition?

Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated.

Howdy -

If you use a FAT partition, it will be read and write capable on both machines. I think it is easiest to format it on the Mac with Disk Utility. Pretty sure Apple call it MS-DOS format......which is actually FAT. Keep the name short, with no spaces or funky characters so that all flavors of Windows are happy (7 is pretty forgiving though......)

Once you do that, should be ready to plug it in and drag stuff over. Assuming you can find what you are looking for.

Are you sure you can't clean it? Either now after reinstalling, you should get some good AV software on it. Start with AVG. The free version is very good, usually enough for most folks. Next something like this is good to keep things running. Not quite Disk Warrior, but worth running IMHO. You may also want spyware protection, such as this, at least to run once in a while if anybody suspects an issue.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I believe you are correct Uncle,
    Another possible option..
    Try recording your music and image files to another drive or a DVD disc first.
    Extensions should be the same between windoZe and Macs...JPG, MP3 etc.
    I think reformatting the drive to DOS or FAT will destroy all the info on the drive...??? So I am thinking save them to a DVD or such before reformatting.
    Vista was iMHO one of the wort builds Windoze or Microsoft ever came out with.
    XP is acceptable...
    Still uses the same old song and dance...
    Tries very hard to look and act like a Mac...
    I dunno...Hope this helps
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

You are correct, will destroy all data when formatting. Was referring to the USB drive.....and was assuming it was safe to format it. Always good to warn and remind though.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Thank you both.

I might try the anti virus first. It had a free 90 day protection but she did not purchase the full version.

She knows where her data is so that won't be a treasure hunt.

Be sure to uninstall the demo software. Two AV programs can = bad mojo.

Yes, I can erase the drive I am moving data to. It's my "as needed drive"

She has a lot ... more than a few DVD's - she says. So a drive sounds easier/better.

ahh, and yes uninstall the old anti-virus programs. That sounds familiar - I'd would have forgot that step.

good thought Uncle.
    Software conflicts can be a nightmare.

How long can or will a virus scan last. It's a 500GB drive with about 200 GB's on of data/OS.

I am running the AVG app unc posted.

Hi Randy,
    Windows is a strange animal,
    AVG is very good, but viruses are even stranger.
    Why do you think they call them viruses...haha.
    Some infections can reside in memory as well as the drive.
    Really is a SOB to cure.
    Can be as simple as one file that contains the offensive data.
    Finding that file can be difficult. Even for an anti-virus program.
    Often is best to start from scratch,
    Think there is a trick to dumping contents of memory on Windows machines as well...
    Hope this helps and I am not sending you on a wild goose chase...
    Dave

Thank you both. I don't know squat about PC's. We are in no rush and the computer works but much more sluggish compared to what it recently was.

AVG has been running an 1 hr. and 15 minutes now. just finished 1 hr. and 22 minutes - found and healed 1 corrupted file.

She is looking for install disks just in case. So if the virus software can fix this - sweet.

Ever hear or have comments on Ad aware a friend said it was good.

I don't personally trust any internet application that you open ports for and allows access too your computer.
    I keep a little Compaq laptop.
    Running XP Home.
    Mostly so if a friend asks a question,
    I can see what they are seeing...
    I think you want to boot from the start-up disk/
    Start in safe mode/
    revert to last working configuration or something to that effect.
    If need be I'll fire up Windows
    Dave

Thumbs up Thanks,

1 hr. and 22 minutes - found and healed 1 corrupted file.
    That seemed to have solved the problem for now.

happy it worked !!!

No personal experience with the software you linked to, though it looks pretty solid, with good reviews.

AVG is very solid and well liked. Has worked for me and on dozens of other machines I have helped with. Glad you are making progress. And yes, AV stuff can take hours. Let it run. I find beer and football can help pass the time.

I would run the ioBit tool next, for security and overall system health. I have seen revive a handful of very sluggish PCs.

Spybot is worth running at least once. Be aware that deciding what is and is not spyware is not always obvious, but worth reading the report for obvious issues.

If she wants more security from net risks, a nice option Nicolas turned me on to: http://www.threatfire.com/