I can get internet and mail! Not software update, printer, mail html pics, itunes apps. or mount some external HD's including my iphone.
Below is a list of my trials and tribulations of where this started and where I went trying to resolve it.

2006 mac-pro 10.6.6

Used diskwarrior to clean my system, monolingual to delete excess language and font finagler to clean up fonts. I then found I had the above situation, did a network diagnosis defined problem as being with admin/provider. My girl has a mac-pro 2010 coming off the same router so I confirmed my network settings with hers, they seemed to concur.

later reinstalled 10.6.3 could not update from software updater, I went online and updated there to 10.6.6, still have same sit.

Did a consul check right after trying software update:

2/21/11 6:59:03 PM Software Update3977 Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1004 UserInfo=0x10062f440 "Could not connect to the server." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork Code=-1004 UserInfo=0x1006343e0 "Could not connect to the server.")
2/21/11 6:59:05 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.suhelperd3979) Exited with exit code: 2
deleted com.apple.softwareUpdate from /Library/Preferences
from your user/Library/Preferences, and from your user/Library/Preferences/ByHost.

N/G so,

went into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete:
com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
com.apple.network.identification.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist

did a ping then trceroute:

a) Traceroute shows "swcdn.apple.com has multiple addresses using 24.143.204.178
traceroute to a950.gi3.akamai.net" in both ethernet 1-2

b) When I open up sys-prefs-network it shows I am connected to ethernet 2, ethernet 2 shows as connected. On the other hand ethernet 1 shows as not connected. This is also shown in net/utlity

c) Consol showed "could not connect to server" 2/21/11 6:59:03 PM Software Update3977 Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1004 UserInfo=0x10062f440 "Could not connect to the server." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork Code=-1004 UserInfo=0x1006343e0 "Could not connect to the server.")
2/21/11 6:59:05 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.suhelperd3979) Exited with exit code: 2

Taking into consideration in the past I was always on ethernet 1 the only conclusion I can come to is that my software update connection is on ethernet 1 and my internet connection is ethernet 2. I do not know this as a fact it is a presumption. I would definitely appreciate an opinion

If this is a possible cause would it pay to totally eliminate all settings? and if so what would be the best way to delete and re-install

Tks