Thread: G3 and SCSI hard drive migration to new iMac

Default G3 and SCSI hard drive migration to new iMac

I have an old G3 tower connected to a SCSI Lacie 18 Gb Hard drive. I would like to migrate all of the files from both the LaCie and the G3 hard drives to the new iMac I purchased.

What is the best way to do that? Dragging and dropping the LaCie icon onto a USB harddrive crashes my system every time, I assume because of the sheer amount of data on the LaCie (it's full).

I can't connect the LaCie directly to the new iMac because there is obvioulsy no SCSI port on the new machine.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a SCSI to USB or SCSI to firewire adapter, but am not sure the new iMac will read the old data (though I can email the data from the G3 and open it just fine on the iMac).

I have also thought about getting a new hard drive enclosure for the LaCie and the G3 hard drives that has a FireWire or USB interface.

Which would be the best route to take, or is there an alternative?

Thanks in advance,
    Stan

Default Welcome to the Guru's Forums

Nice post with good info. Myself or someone else will be by and give some advice. You have a few options ... I am trying to think of the easiest, fastest but a very safe method.

your ethernet but thats slow and that vintage of machine in general for large transfers

How full is the drive? What OS are you using?

Default thanks for the quick response....

the LaCie:
    Capacity 17.08 GB
    Available: 14.1 MB
    Used: 17.07 GB on disk for 392,665 items
    SCSI v6.1

I'm currently using the LaCie to boot from, on System 9.1

The G3 runs system 8.6, but I'm not booting from that drive.

The priority is moving the information from the LaCie. I would like to move the G3 data, but it is not crucial.

Thanks!

What iMac and OS will this be going into? Do you just need the data or are you running going to run 9.2 on an older iMac?

What types of data? text, jpegs, music, video, games, other

What do or will you need from the G3 drives? Drivers etc?

I just need the data. I will be using the data from a new Snow Leopard machine. The data will be going to a 2010 era iMac version 10.6.6 Snow Leopard 27", 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

The type of data to be transferred is mainly text and images... JPEG, many graphic files, and Filemaker and AOL files. This is past order information and previous artwork done for my business. When clients call in new orders, I need to be able to reference the old data. We have many graphics files in many formats.

We won't need any drivers from the G3. This data is archived, and I never know when I will need it. So to have it accessible would be great. As I said, the G3 data is less important than the LaCie data.

Ethernet them together. I believe you will have to enable Apple Talk on the iMac to access the drive, but I don't remember - been waaaaaay too many years since I booted a pre OSX Mac. Let alone connected one up. You should be fine doing it that way and the cost is basically nothing but a CAT5 cable.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up

I got to agree. If your just grabbing files it won't be as bad or slow.

Default appletalk and old machines....

I'm unfamiliar with Appletalk. I have tried to use the Help windows, but the G3 seems to be geared toward dial-up. I can't get the iMac to see the G3 and they are directly connected via Ethernet cable. I don't know hoe to connect them. I'm pretty network illiterate....

After I connect the ethernet cable to both computers, where should I look for the G3, and what am I looking for?

I have a feeling I need to find an IP address, and I don't know where to look, and I'm not sure exactly what TCP\IP means..... so all those advanced settings are just shots in the dark for me.
    Last edited by Stan; 02-03-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: additional information.

Default It's been forever

Look into this Google or this one.

Try looking from the G3 for the iMac also.

Default where?

where should I look on the G3? Under the apple menu? Chooser? Appletalk? Where would I be able to see a connected computer?

Chooser? A g3 Goog

Default 9.2 and 10.6

OK.... so I tried lots of things. I pulled out our old system 9.2 iMac (in the clear enclosure... no tower). I connected it to our router, and I can access the old G3 and the LaCie hard drive from the OLD iMac.

I have a MacBook Pro and this new iMac, both running the latest Snow Leopard system, and I can't see either of the old computers. Why?

How can I get the new OSX iMac to see the System 9.2 equipment? If I can access that old G3 like I can on the old iMac, I should be able to drag and drop from the LaCie onto the new iMac. Right?

Yes, you should be able to drag and drop. It's been 3 or 4 years since I've booted into OS 9 and gave/borrowed my G4 Giga or OS 9 computer away last year. I really can't recall without it in front of me. None of the Google links provided any help.

I remember from the OSX side on the menu bar under "Go" I think - seemed to have/do something.

Make sure your set for "sharing" on both computers. it might be a different name

Default Thank you SOO much.

The Go menu was the key. Thank you SO much!

What do you like to drink, my friend? I owe you a bottle of your favorite!

Glad I could help ... errrr remember.