Thread: '04 dual 2.5 g5: red lights = no startup

Default '04 dual 2.5 g5: red lights = no startup

My 6.5 year old G5 is only partially starting up.

1. Power button lights and does not blink
    2. Chime sounds
    3. Fans cycle to regular speed
    4. Graphics card fan powers up
    5. USB powers up

THEN

1. two LEDs, one at each processor, light up RED. This is not at the RAM sockets but where the processors are located.

That's it, and within a couple minutes the fans begin revving up.

Keyboard doesn't have any effect (holding down "shift", or "C" to boot apple hardware test CD, or "option" to choose another boot disc).
    LCD screens remain dark.
    None of the hard drives fire up.
    Optical drive sounds like it spins up.

I'm completely stumped and I can only find info for leds for the RAM sockets on late '05 G5's...nothing for leds for the processor chip section.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe even just disconnected everything, every cord, including power and let sit 20 minutes and try? You can try this too... it can't really hurt but could reset some defaults. How's your battery. I am not sure which "red" light you refer to but some mobo's have red lights. Someone with a G5 might know...

Zap the PRAM. On Startup hold the (command + option + P + R) keys. Hold them until you hear the first startup "bong/chime" and keep holding them for about 3-4 more "bongs/chimes".
    ------
    Open Firmware reset -

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram -Hit Return
    set-defaults -Hit Return
    reset-all -Hit Return

That should cause a reboot.

Apple info and instructions for the same

Tried letting sit, nothing plugged in
    Checked battery = nearly 3.7 volts
    Started with and without battery

It doesn't go far enough into boot for the keyboard to even work. I think I said the keyboard didn't work. Changing keyboards has no effect.

This is ALL about those two red lights at the processors. Wish I knew what they were "indicating" I read somewhere it was a processor "hang" but that doesn't sound right. Logically, I'd have those processor lights light up if it overheated, was damaged, or if some process was shutting down the processor to protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    Maybe even just disconnected everything, every cord, including power and let sit 20 minutes and try? You can try this too... it can't really hurt but could reset some defaults. How's your battery. I am not sure which "red" light you refer to but some mobo's have red lights. Someone with a G5 might know...

Zap the PRAM. On Startup hold the (command + option + P + R) keys. Hold them until you hear the first startup "bong/chime" and keep holding them for about 3-4 more "bongs/chimes".
    ------
    Open Firmware reset -

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram -Hit Return
    set-defaults -Hit Return
    reset-all -Hit Return

That should cause a reboot.

Apple info and instructions for the same

Default opps, let's see more thoughts

You are getting a chime .... but no keyboard response before or after power on. I don't think I've had that ever happen. okay, I have limited G5 smarts if it is a G5 issue... Calling fer some G5 help. Could be a lot.

Does not sound like RAM, But you could remove some.

Need to know which model you have. I may have a Service Manual around for it, but need to know exactly which model it is. You might download MacTracker and see if you can ferret out which model identifier - PowerMacG5x,x - that is what will let me figure out if I have the manual.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Rick to the rescue!! You guys are the best!
    16 years without a single significant mac problem and now my mac bubble has burst.

Downloading now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Need to know which model you have. I may have a Service Manual around for it, but need to know exactly which model it is. You might download MacTracker and see if you can ferret out which model identifier - PowerMacG5x,x - that is what will let me figure out if I have the manual.

Rick

Heading at the top of the top of the page:
    "Powermac G5 (June 2004)"
    Q77, Q78

Model identifier: Powermac 7,3

This is the liquid cooled dual 2.5, M9457LL/A

On liquid cooled models the very first thing to do is get your flashlight out and look for leaks. Kills too many of them to be happenstance. One of the reasons I advise anyone with a liquid cooled G5 to leave them on 100% of the time, no sleep even, is keeping that cooling system stable will also keep it from leaking. Spend some time looking. It is the inevitable death of the G5.

I'll see if I have the manual. I have a couple 7,3s around here, but haven't worked on one in a while.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Also, I remembered this Apple document about the motherboard diagnostic LEDs:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2652

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I've looked and looked nothing yet, but I haven't busted the pin and pulled out the radiator cover yet.

Those LEDs are at the RAM slots, and that's for the '05 model.
    The ones I'm talking about are right at the processors where they mount to the board to the right of the radiator.

Whoops, righto. My G5 is the last model, the 11,2 Quad Core with water cooling. The LEDs are next to the RAM. I remember seeing a list of the actual functions. A couple of them are directly processor diagnostic. One of that the air dam is in place. That is on the last model G5 though. I no longer have a 7,3 here... so I cannot just look. And no Service Manual for that one that I can locate. I have the manual for the PowerMac11,2, not useful for you.

I'll keep looking, see what I can find.

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thanks! Maybe we'll dig something up.

Outside of the potential for liquid damage.....

Rule other things out first, but some G5s occasionally need their CPUs reseated. Rare, but seen a few.

Bit of a job so rule simple stuff first.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Went to the Apple "gee-wizz" bar today. It kinda went like this:
    "gee-wizz, I've only been here 6 months"
    "I've pulled up the wrong manual"
    "I'll call that guy at the other store"
    "gee-wizz, the manual doesn't say anything about those LEDs"
    "You mean the LEDs aren't on the mother board?, well gee-wizz!"

From what I saw looking at the manual and a couple other "apple eyes" only documents on the laptop at the gee-wizz bar, Apple is purely throw away -- replace don't repair, no detailed info on any of the components, and if it's 5 years old they don't even replace components.

They're actually hiring sales people for genius bar vs actual techs. I'm guessing the gee-wizz bar turns over 80% of their staff every 6 months.

The gee-wizz bar knew nothing about those LEDs and what they're indicating. Sadly, a customer know more then they did. He said they're related to thermal signals from the sensors. Either sensors are going bad or thermal is too high on the chip.

A local non-apple-store shop is going to diagnose and reseat the processors and either we give up or it works.

Any advice on what non-new tower to replace this with?

So.... Apple has long been in the 'replace with this component' service method. Their 'service' manual often has a step by step procedure that runs like: "reseat RAM, replace RAM, reset SMC, replace motherboard" Very rudimentary and very modular. Usually only a couple of steps between 'see problem' and replace motherboard/CPU or other component.

Problem is, that their system is absolutely worthless to the individual. We don't have the repair parts in hand, nor even a source for them to do the plug and pray testing.

So yeah, once you are past what Apple considers 'vintage', you are pretty much on borrowed time.

You gotta replace it with a MacPro. Intel is now only way to go. Used MacPros are often a good deal. And they seem to last well.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin