Thread: Heat

Confused Heat

There seems to be excessive heat coming out of the vent along the top back of my IMac 20" computer. I run my hand along the vent of my 17" IMac and the heat is just noticeable.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

You should download Temperature Monitor and see if your Mac is running hot.

Also even if it's running normal I recommend downloading SMC Fan Control and increasing the minimum RPM's on your fans. iMacs run hot by design so that they can be silent. I personally would rather hear a little fan sound than burn up (another) hard drive

Both the above mentioned programs are freeware
    Damien,

Default Heat

I turned the computer off last night (usually it is always asleep) and this morning it seems OK. I haven't been doing anything that required me to use it for a long period of time. I ran Temperature Monitor but how can I tell if the readings are where they should be? All the readings are in the 30's and 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I turned the computer off last night (usually it is always asleep) and this morning it seems OK. I haven't been doing anything that required me to use it for a long period of time. I ran Temperature Monitor but how can I tell if the readings are where they should be? All the readings are in the 30's and 40's.
    I think that is normal and still cooler. If it is in Fahrenheit then youre in trouble, you need to add heat. lol, Mine goes up to 50 and mac still works fine.

I used the SMC Fan control on my 20" Intel iMac. I bumped all the fans a little not enough to hear much if any. I adjusted each up a little so not to change Apple's normal air flow or operation and things cooled down. Easy to monitor. The mfg.'s post recommended operating temps. But for the most part 30 to 50 C is in the ballpark. Cooler is better.

Having read this, I checked my MacPro 8 core. In centigrade, the 2 mem modules run around 75, and other 4 about 65. This measured using iStat Pro hardware monitor. Funny: the hot ones are the original Apple equipment; the cooler ones came from Macgurus.

The CPU's run about 50, and the fans aren't working hard at all. This has been typical when some extra activity is going on (CPU about 60% idle, instead of the normal 98% idle).

To rwm: mem modules have recommended operating temps? The air cooled variety? I didn't know that.

Confused Heat

Fan Control has ODD, HDD, and CPU. If I increase each at which point should I hear the fan? If I don't could there be a problem with the fan? Right now the temperature is 36* C.

To rwm: mem modules have recommended operating temps? The air cooled variety? I didn't know that.
    Oh no, not those -- I think your right.

Everything has a recommended operating range. Most computer devices are in the 55 Celsius range, which is 131. I have seen many hard drives list 55C and some CPUs there as well. Much of the RAM we get today runs hotter yet. Unbelievable what the MacPro RAM boards produce in heat!

In searching the terms "ddr3 memory operating temperature range" I get various manufacturers putting the high end of that range anywhere from 70 to 85C. 85C being 185.

Reading the notes also led to the information that many of the sensors they use on these modules, within the normal operating temperature of the memory, is accurate within +- 1 C. Pretty accurate. So differences in identical ram in different locations would be from different airflow and supplied air temps and or load levels for particular modules.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Keep in mind that Apple has vastly improved venting in the later model iMacs, which means more heat is being exhausted. this is a very good thing. The backs of the Alum. iMacs get pretty warm, as they act as a giant heat sink too. Again, getting the heat out.

Watch your internal temps, but don't fret about heat coming out. Out is good!!

The mid age iMacs (G5s in particular) generated more heat, and exhausted less. Which means they ran too dang hot, and many have died in the 4-6 year age range, with heat likely being a key factor.

Tools like SMC or MagicMenu or iStat or Hardware Monitor can show fan RPMs, so no need to worry about a failed fan. Fans in newer iMacs are very quite too.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Talking

This thread was very informative.
    Since heat is bad, I like your RAM best Rick!

Checked just now, when MacPro has been idle.
    Orig Apple RAM modules: 70 - 72 centigrade
    All four macgurus RAM modules: 58 - 61 centigrade
    CPU's 37 - 40
    All three internal hard drives: below 30

When working harder, I do feel the heat coming - which I like in winter.....keeps me warm !!

marrand

Thumbs up Good temps

marrand

Those temps look really good.