Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PowerMac 7500/100 Connectivity Issue

Default PowerMac 7500/100 Connectivity Issue

I have a PM 7500/100 that is running OS 8.6 (i know...older than dirt). This machine was essentially used as a secondary client data back up unit. Backup software is Retrospect v 4.2 and a Sony SDT-D7000 DDS2 drive for the media tapes. (again - older than dirt). System worked PERFECTLY for years. Moved in March - ethernet card/connection is now bad. Not sure why or what happened, but now am unable to retrieve data from the system. Retrospect works - DDS2 drive works - can download/retrieve data, but no way to extract from system.
    System is using SCSI only - purchased a USB/SCSI converter cable - am hoping that once the adapter arrives for the SCCI, this will work. Not very positive however as there may be a compatibility issue. Have been working on this since June. Have also tried bit-by-bit transferred of DDS2 tapes to newer DAT72 media - that doesn't work either due to bad header errors. I haven't been able to find an ethernet card replacement that will work. UGH...is there anyone out there that can help me?

Default You've done a lot.

I might. Lets figure out what you need. Let me check I think I have a working same type computer if needed. Leave a post if interested.

Default PowerMac Connectivity - My Hero - I hope!

Hi RWM:
    Thanks for your reply. What do you need to know? Did you want to speak personally instead of posting info? Let me know what works best for you.
    Regards,
    Staci

Would a beige G3 help? Don't have one now, but run across them from time to time.

I would agree......finding an old Mac that you can drop the HD into might be easier. There are some old Mac capable NICs out there, but it can be a booger to find the driver to go with, even if you find the hardware.

Might put a wanted ad in Craigslist. Got to be some old Macs out there that folks would love to part with for a modest price.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hi:
    I guess if I could find a compatible Mac 7500/100 running OS8.6, then I may be able to move the backup drive to the new machine. Problme is - I don't have the original Retrospect 4.2 software - but have just asked Roxio/ Retrospect if they could provide a copy. The data is not stored on the mac's hard drive - it's on dat2 tapes - which uses a Sony DDS2 drive. Thoughts? I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!

I myself might not be much help on best data moving transfers but do have a mix of that vintage equipment.

This was an in and out quick post. I think on it. Buried now

Quote Originally Posted by greeneggz1 View Post
    I guess if I could find a compatible Mac 7500/100 running OS8.6, then I may be able to move the backup drive to the new machine.
    Any Mac that can run 8.6 and has PCI slots is good for this. This means a 7100, 7300, 7500, 8100, 8500, 8600, 9100, 9500, 9600 - any of those can take the drive out of your 7500 and boot up like it was still the 7500.

Problme is - I don't have the original Retrospect 4.2 software - but have just asked Roxio/ Retrospect if they could provide a copy.
    If Retrospect is installed on the current boot drive, then moving the drive will still have Retrospect installed. Only thing I would recommend is that you make a backup of that drive soonest since it is the only copy of that you have.

The data is not stored on the mac's hard drive - it's on dat2 tapes - which uses a Sony DDS2 drive. Thoughts? I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!
    Once again, if the DDS2 drivers are on that drive, they will still work in a different computer.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Thanks Rick

Nicely said... OK, So you are moving tape data on a sony tape machine on to a hard drive?

Rolleyes 7100 a/v

I have a PM 7100 A/V, like "new in the original box" with many program extras. I bought this new in 95.
    Six months later, Apple had new models, so I bought a PM9600/300.

The 7100 is "LIKE NEW", hardly was ever used.
    Even have the original monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I spent a small fortune obtaining the 7100 and decided to just keep it, because everyone was into the latest and greatest and on one wanted it......
    Have everything that came with it.

Let me know if interested.

h

Hi all:
    Thanks for the multiple responses.
    Rick - thanks for all that info- really appreciate it. I may need to do what you suggest in order to access the backed up data from DDS2 tapes. Making a back up of that hard drive might present a problem, but I'm sure I can figure it out. If a replacement computer has a working ethernet card, I should be able to do what I originally planned (listed below), since I don't believe I will be able to hook up a more appropriate, modern, external drive (as they use USB or firewire connectivity) unless you have some suggestion on that as well?

MRW - thanks for getting back to me too. The data I need to retrieve is currently resident on multiple DDS2 tapes (could be a hundred of them). When I retrieve the data, I use Retrospect to download it. The machine used to be hooked up to a work server - in my old location - using ethernet connection. When finally settled from the move, my plan was to download data - and slowly transfer it to another source. Now that the ethernet connection is fried, I'm trying to figure out ways to download media/work and get it onto an external hard drive. That's proven to be very challenging as I can't get a USB card to install that is compatible with OS 8.6. I purchased a SCSI/USB cable to try to hook up the drive to a newer machine in hopes than when launching Retrospect on the PM 7500, I could "see" the newer drive and download directly to there. Not sure if this will work, but I needed to try it out.

Hazkell - Yes, I may be interested in taking the old dog off your hands. As all of us (who have been around long enough to have purchased this stuff new) knows, we all paid way too much for the equipment way-back-when. What would you want for your setup? And - I would guess it would have to be shipped. Didn't take notice where you were located, but I'm in Florida. Please advise when you have a moment. Thanks!

Question Pm 7100

Hazkell: I forgot to ask you - the SCSI connector on the 7100 - is it compatible with a 50pin Centronics hook up? And is the CD burner working on the computer? Instead of sending files via internet, I could always burn disks. Thanks

I am not sure any longer with any certainty with OS 8.6 but I thought with a PCI slot you can go external to SCSI, USB or faster ethernet. Rick, might know a card. I think the ol' Miles U2W did SCSI easily. I had one.

Hazkell: I forgot to ask you - the SCSI connector on the 7100 - is it compatible with a 50pin Centronics hook up? And is the CD burner working on the computer? Instead of sending files via internet, I could always burn disks. Thanks
    The vintage machines Rick listed should all have a 50 pin SCSI out - but very slow. With a PCI Card you'll get faster throughput.

ok thanks. i did buy an IOGEAR 5-port USB 2.0 PCI card - pkg said was compatible with OS 8.6 - but had an error upon installing - when speaking with tech support - they said it was a typo on the package... so I put the PCI card in another computer I am now using for a newer Retrospect/Dat72 backup situation. Maybe Rick can make a suggestion?

Shouldn't have mentioned 7100 and 800 as proper model to look at. They both are Nubus, not PCI. Means there is literally nothing available to plug into them.

Last time I was looking at Beige Macs, was at least 6 years ago, and models like 7300 or 8600 were going for $25 plush shipping on eBay. DOn't think Craigslist even existed then.

Any of the PCI Power Macs that had built in SCSI will work for you. But ones that also had an external SCSI port will be best.

If I was to make a list, and then go looking for a forum member who has one, or an eBay Power Mac that comes from someone reputable enough that you figure you get what they advertise, I would start with 7200, 7300, 8500, 8600, 9500, 9600 and end my list with a Beige G3. A Blue and White G3 runs off an ATA drive and needed a card to run SCSI. This complicates what you are trying to do. Keep it simple - 7200 up to Beige G3. (my favorite was the 7300 to work with, but the 8600 is also a dream easy machine to work on) Should be nearly free if you can find a working one. All have built in network support and all can take a PCI Network card as well.

And all of them should boot just fine from your current 8.6 startup hard drive.

The other advantage is that each and every one of those powerMacs has a DB25 external SCSI connector. That connector is easily and cheaply adapted to run any 50 pin SCSI device.

You asked for a suggestion in your last post, I didn't get the question. You will have to elaborate.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Hi Rick:

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I'll have to put a feeler out there to see if anyone actually has something useful.

My question was about the PCI card issue. RWM suggested you may have something in mind that I could find/buy that would work with what I have. Sorry if I confused the subject.
    Thanks

Data would probably be easiest to move with a built in external SCSI port. I think it's slower than a PCI card -- been a long while -- but then you have fewer driver, PCI card, OS issues to conflict. I have a 7200 and extra mobo for it I think if any help. Just postage / packing - I can't get to it real fast.

Don't use a PCI card if you don't need to. Speed is unimportant here.

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up Agreed, What Rick sez

Keep it Simple

Lightbulb

While at it, I have a Retrospect 6 Server setup (software and FW external VXA drive) that I am ready to part with. Yell if it would help with this, or you want to roll forward with Retro 6. Beens years now since its use, but as I recall it was last run on a Beige G3 with 9.2.1. Worked great for backing up both Macs and Win boxes.

Yell if it could be of use to you.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin