Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A very full HD won't boot... or bad drive.

Try a Open Firmware reset. That may get it to boot to DW.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Good thought, I will if I need to... It just quit scanning for devices and I see the DW Page.... sit, wait and watch.

Default First move suggestions... for when or if it's alive?

DiskWarrior said ..... "This disk does not appear on desktop"

The replacement fixed this last night - it is nearly done replacing the directory again.

Is there a setting for this? Like in "Get Info's privileges or else where.

This has been the biggest issue all along - no HD icon on the desktop but DU sees it fine.

On the desktop is nothing compared to "is it mounted". That is what is important. If the drive is mounted then being on or off the desktop is not important.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

DW Seems froze -- The directory was repaired but I got the beach ball spinning with a dialog window asking me to Save or Don't save the report.

Rick, please define mounted. If it shows up in DU it is mounted -- yes / no?

If yes THEN... When I see it in DU next wtf do I do with it.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

You can (if possible) look in the /Volumes folder and see all mounted drives whether they are on the desktop or not
    Damien,

OK, My joystick is still screwed up.... so I can't reach everything right now. Hopefully the neighbor can come up and give me some fingers and be my mobility for a bit.

I think the answer is yes... it seems.

Listed in Disk Utility, but not mounted..... in DU you select the named volume (not the drive) and if the unmount button is there up top then the drive is mounted. 'On the desktop' is less important than that Disk Utility sees it. If DU doesn't even see it, let alone mount it, then most times nothing else, like Disk Warrior, can work on it either.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Well, I think I've done things right. I did miss a chance yesterday I think.
    DW might get me to a point to save data for his son / daughter in law.

Tomorrow again.

Yes mounted on my iMac - no disk icon

Here is the DU - but I am an idiot - how do I copy this. Do I need another drive besides the single iMac drive?

OK, so the HD looks to be mounted. Yes, you need another volume to copy data to.

FW is nice, but USB will work, if you simply copying data. If you have loads of space you can copy data onto your HD. Just make a new folder and go for it.

I would suggest you grab the primary user account. If you suspect the HD is failing (I would), I suggest you grab a folder at a time, as trying to copy a bad sector will usually kill the copy, sometimes the Finder, and sometimes lock up the machine.

So, try most important files first:

~/Pictures (to get the entire iphoto library)
    ~/Music (to get the entire itunes library)
    ~/Documents (all files and folders in the user "Documents" folder
    ~/Desktop (al files and folders on the user desktop

.....and so on. If any one copy hangs, skip and move on to the next, then come back to it later.

~ = the user's home folder. So on my Mac:

/volumes/Mac HD/Users/unclemac/Desktop is shorcut to: ~/Desktop
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

If you have loads of space you can copy data onto your HD. Just make a new folder and go for it.
    I have FW drives but need another 400 to 8 or 400 cable. No optical. And yes I have tons of space. How.. not the menu copy or yes

It is indexing the PB 60GB Drive now... I could not shut it off via the Privacy Tab...

OK, I got it now I thunk - index, copy, pray

Thumbs up Slowly

Seems to be going. This is the first time I've had to "first hand" do some of this. I forgot and missed a step or two but if the drive holds out... it sounds really bad. Never heard this.

OK, Halp once more. I will be going to bed before data's off this. So Best way to leave it overnight on? or shutdown?' transfer a shit load

How easy / tough to put a new drive in this G4 PB 1 GHz 15". ATA - not SATA Right?

It is an ATA drive. I think that is the DVI model. I think you can tell by looking at this picture on the Fixit Guide. We can usually find a couple different 2.5 inch ATA drive options for you to do a swap. You will need a really tiny screwdriver set as well. I like the $15-$20 Radio Shack mini bit screwdriver. It has the philips and torx sizes needed for that Powerbook.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thanks, Rick

Sounds like you are getting there.....

Just remember: get the most important data first, and work your way down. The drive could die in two hours, two days or two weeks.

Slow and noisy are more clues that the HD is ill.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up It is working.... v e r y ..... s l ow l y

I trashed 1 large movie. So I have 14GB free space... I don't see any difference is speed.

Grabbing important stuff first. Have already got a few "can read type error messages"

Thank you all. Funny I've walked people through how to do this but I have never worked with a "dead HD" like this myself.

I think this thing is nearly dead. Takes for ever to read anything. It really does not transfer hours for 1 or 2 files or small photos. I am giving it to them to finish. They can toss in the towel...

Could might DW do any better now that there is open space .... or the drive is just toast.

Rick ... where best for a 160 to 250 GB Drive?