Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A very full HD won't boot... or bad drive.

Redface A very full HD won't boot... or bad drive.

Hey guys... my good neighbor / friend's son and wife have a G4 1GHz PB 768 RAM.

The hard drive only has 3.2 GB's of free space on it but will boot to a blue screen and sits. It boots to my 10.5 DVD fine and I can see his drive and my FW drives in DU. DU failed when I tried to check permissions on his drive. Have not tried again. I tried the shift key on startup - no.

A old unsused 9.2 system showed as bootable. Crap .. I was going to try it. Less startup resources.

I should be able to boot to the DVD and push data to a FW drive - right? I can't - wtf .

I don't have a non Intel bootable partition -- never finished that project-- So I am installing 10.5 on a FW drive from the G4 now and assume I can boot from it. Then all will be well...

Moving and deleting data now....

But... there was no reason to install 10.5 or did I have to.

The DVD was enough to fix things up right? - I got a brain fart and took the long way..... where.

Rolleyes

Well I accidently closed the top and can't open it. WoW slow transfer... full drive. What a day... my wc was stuck in one spot all day - joystick, pissed my foot.....

Damn, but having a full drive can REALLY suck sometimes. I bet you get it though. Let me know if you need anything... well, anything more than a charge for your wc batteries.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I installed 10.5 and booted from my FW IcyDock just fine. DU It says 3.7 GB avaliable it's a 60 GB drive. But can just a FULL drive create a very very slow device. I might have a bad drive here. Lot of clicks and ulgy sounds -- still indexing. How long might it take to index.... never saw anything take this long.

Tossing a file in the trash .... it just sits like it is doing it ... just don't happen.

What looked to be very simple..... trash some stuff - might be yuck.

The problem with an over full drive is that it runs out of index and starts overwriting the index. This means it gets lost when accessing the data. You might try Disk Warrior, if you own it. Otherwise, might try one of your copy programs, copy the whole darn thing to an external.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I bought DiskWarrior's newer 4.2 ?? - not intel. So it will work on this machine.

I still need to make an Intel bootable DVD DiskWarrior. Thanks,

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Yes a full drive will cause all these problems. Firewire Target Disk Mode would have been your least stressful option I think. No need to even boot the problem Mac that way.
    Damien,

I'd a thought Indiana would have rot Damien's brain by now - but as always, he is (still) smarter than the rest of us.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default What to do today

Well back at it today........ as I am still stuck in the same spot all day long again -- my joystick went out --

TDM - can my iMac boot this? I'll try it. - should be least stressful
    I have a bootable FW

I'll screw with the computer later ---

Default Check out my steps here...... TDM Attempt

OK, I get nothing. unless I need to wait .... 30 minutes

The G4 PB it has 10.4.11 on it's drive. I held the "T" key on start and got the FW symbol on it's screen. I connected the FW cable to my Intel iMac - 10.6 Full hard drive or an intel 10.6 vs. G4 10.4 issues - or other.

I can boot to a FW drive or 10.5 DVD and that seems to be it .... I don't really want to do much that could stress issues.

Did I do this wrong?

Question

Several attempts ... it looks like it's good but I never get the PB HD / icon on my iMac desktop.

DW, ..... or more patience

Default Halp, Something different

I am not trying to boot the full PB drive. No go or mount with TDM. The PB HD is not mounting on it's own desktop today.

I am booted off a 10.5 FW Drive and can't even see it on the desktop. I could last night. It shows in DU. Now just a lot click, click, click sounds ugly..... and it's still indexing.

I went to shutdown and got the grey screen of death. I am waiting for suggestions as to a next move.

I seem to have options but nothing working just right. Have not attempted DiskWarrior but want input ..... his married son has a lot of photos mostly they want if dead.

Full HD can cause issues, but should not. Seen plenty completely full that boot OK and run.

My money is on a failing HD. If you can get it to mount via TDM, backup data if possible. First.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    My money is on a failing HD.
    Ugly clicking.... this is bad. I agree with Unc on this one. Time for a new drive

TDM is ....

Boot the problem Mac holding the T key until the firewire symbol shows then connect a firewire cable to another (running normally booted) Mac. The drive icon should show on the desktop of the second mac. A bad drive will cause this icon never to show on the second Mac, even though the first mac is showing the FW symbol. The second Mac can be any Mac that can mount an external FW drive. Even OS 9 can be used. The first Mac is the only one that has to support TDM
    Damien,

Default Some progress

The problem PBook's hard drive is again mounting on it's desktop. I had DW rebuild the directory.

It was to late last night ... I am / was attempting to connect TDM properly..... so I'll give TDM another shot real fast.

Thanks fellas, I'll post back.

Rolleyes Well maybe not.

Next time I am looking at the assumed dead / dying HD in DU...

Would DU's Restore feature be more harm or help?

Also, Thoughts on preceding or first steps with DW?

If the drive is on the way out, the more you work it, the more likely damage will occur.

Verify if they have data backed up. If not get it off first. If you can't (drive won't mount) then DW would be a good next step. The newer DW versions should work just fine on all older hardware.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Trying to keep activity to a minimum

The drive must be going and no backed up data.

A FW, the optical drive with 10.5 or DW all work good. I see the "bad' HD in DU not on desktop.

What are the best options .... It is booted to DW ver. 4.1 now. Well it's attempting to
    Last edited by rwm; 11-29-2010 at 02:25 PM.

Default Was last night it's last shutdown

Late last night I felt good. DW, said the drive was OK and rebuilt the directory. The FW drive and "bad" hard drive were sitting there... that was my chance.

It was late .... I shutdown and went to bed assuming the same today. So far - nothing. Nothing with TDM today. Yesterday via TDM DU saw the PBook but it did not mount on the desktop.

Also, very little to no clicking today... dead"?

DiskWarriors not wanting to boot today it's been trying for 2 hours or so. ....