Thread: Powerbook Questions

Default Powerbook Questions

I recently purchased a used G4 800 Mhz Aluminum Power book.
    Used firewire and migration assistant to transfer my files from my imac
    Got through the password thing which I don't think I should discuss here.
    Two problems...
    Still shows previous owners name as the administrator,owner in home
    and I would like to rename the HD as it is named the same as my Imac
    Gets confusing on my network.

PS anybody interested in the Pismo?
    2 new batteries
    500Mhz processor
    2 pc 133 Ram sticks
    Yo-yo power supply.
    If I can I will erase the new 80 GB HD and include it also.
    Plastics and display are in very good condition
    Happy Thanksgiving !!!
    Dave
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

I had the same problem with a Power Book.
    Couldn't figure how to delete the previous owners account.
    So, I did a target transfer to another G4 .... then erased the Power Book.
    Seems like a long-way-around, but solved the problem.
    Then wrote zeros .... then a new HD.

I haven't tried to move any files from the copied HD.

Hope this helps in some way ...... I reread your post and I don't think I really did!

I'll be following along on this one.
    Good Luck, h

All is fine now.
    Used a start-up disc and erased the powerbook drive. and started it from my iMac via a firewire connection..
    renamed the partitions via disc utility
    used Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer all files and library's to the powerbook.
    ran disk utility on both machines just to be safe
    Solved all problems....
    Thanks for your response,
    David

Lightbulb

Lots of ways, you guys both found creative solutions.

Other ways:

Rename the account. You have to rename the user (both long and short names), and be sure not to break the file path to the home directory.

- Apple way.

- MacWorld way.

Create a new account. Move the data to it.

- Unclemac's patented user switcheroo hack:

1. Log into your generic admin account, so the account you want to rename is not in use. Don't have one? Create one with a unique name, being sure to check the box to enable administer access. Log out of the account you want to rename, and log into the other/new admin account (call this user #1)

2. Create a new user account (using the name you want) being sure to use get the name right. Tip: If you capitalize the Long name, the short name will be lower case, and you can log in with either one. (Call this user #2)

3. Still logged into user #1, you should now have user #2 (the new account with the user name you want), and user #3 (the previous account with the data/history you want, but the wrong name).

4. Using BatchMod, change the user permissions on the entire home directory of user #3 so you can move them as the administer. Several ways to do this......can change the user or group so that user #1 is capable of moving the entire contents. Be sure to check boxes to remove ACLs, and to apply recursively to all enclosing files and folders.

5. Repeat for user #2 so the admin can control these directories too.

6. Now, simply move the entire contents of home directory from user #3 to user #2 (move the stuff you want from the old incorrectly named account to the new, correctly named account). You can delete the contents of user #2 account first - remember, it is brand new, so no unique data - or, you can replace it when you copy.

7. With the old data in the new account, set the permissions so that they are correct for the user #2 - so the user owns the data. Get this right before logging in as user #2, and everything is easy & works right the first time. Several ways. BatchMod works, be sure user #2 owns everything. No ACLs, but not a big deal unless you plan to share with a Win box.

8. Log in as user #2. You have a new account with the right name, but the home directory from the previous account. Confirm all is well (check iPhoto, iTunes, unique data, etc. Use this new user account for a while to be sure everything is as you expect. Then you can delete user account #3 and its home directory (now empty), and user account #1 if you like.

Notes:

This is very fast, as you don't add/delete data, just move it. Instant. Great when it is a large set.

If you really want user account permissions factory fresh, boot to an OS installer disk and use the password reset tool; use the reset user account permissions options. Will set everything per the Apple spec, including adding back ACLs.

With a little practice, anybody can do this in about 5 min., with no command line, and nothing to remember......just have to get comfortable with BatchMod and user permissions, which is a good thing.

Like anything new or potentially complicated, backup first!!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up

" If you really want user account permissions factory fresh, boot to an OS installer disk and use the password reset tool; use the reset user account permissions options."

Damn. I forgot about that.
    See if I can remember that for more than 5 mins.

Thanks unc, h

Thanks to all...
    Happy Holidays...
    David