Thread: Question mark icon

Confused Question mark icon

My Mac IBook G4 sometimes will not restart after a shut down. Repeated tries will sometimes bring up the question mark icon. Other times it will start right up. Tried holing down the shift key.

Mac Ibook OS 10.4.11. Currently I can't get into the computer to provide any further information.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

The ? means it can't find a bootable drive to start up from. You can try holding the option key down when this happens and see if the Mac sees your drive at all. This could be several things... motherboard battery would be the best to hope for. Could also be a dying hard drive.

Can you boot from the original system CD/DVD that came with your mac. If so you can run some tests on the hard drive and post back what it finds
    Damien,

Held down the option key and an icon of the drive appeared and an icon of an arrow pointing to the right and an icon of an arrow going in a circle.

From there you should choose the bootable OS drive/partition and click the right arrow and it should boot. If not ... could be many things including a failing HD as Damien mentioned.

Knowing if you can boot to a CD or DVD really could help troubleshooting this.

Cannot boot from CD. Will start holding down the option key and selecting HD and right arrow. If I don't shut down it's OK.

With the CD in if you hold the "c" key while booting it should boot to the CD.

Do you see the CD as bootable to choose when you hold the option key?

Holding the c key down didn't work. It will sometimes start when I hold the option key down. When it did I selected the CD as the startup disk. It still failed to start. Holding the option key brought up the CD icon but it would then freeze and some code would appear across the screen. It took a while but I was finally able to get to a point where I could eject the CD.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a refurbished MacBook. Are there any reliable sites?

I would agree. Likely a failing HD and optical drive.....best to move on.

As for used, I have had good luck with these guys. Might find cheaper, but think about what you want in a laptop. ......Not someone else's problem would be on the top of my list.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks.