Thread: Can't create new account

Default Can't create new account

Good one here. OS10.4.11 G4 DP 800. Bossmans iMac's power supply died so I hooked up the back up Mac for him to use. No matter what I try I can't get the system to make a password for his new account. I type in the password verify it and get no response at all. I try to log in using the password I just set and it won't work. I tried resetting it with both the Accounts preference and also from the install disk with no joy. I set permissions on his account to me so I could take a look around and see if anything was in the keychain folder with his account name on it and no nothing there. Anyone got a clue how to fix this? BTW file vault is not used.
    Thanks

Damn, a tough one is right. I really don't know where best to start. You've covered any / all of my thoughts. Sorry - Randy

Hmmmmm.....

OK, so one account works (you log in, can work, etc.), correct?

So in the User Pref Pane, try removing the password for his account. Make sure both fields are blank, and go for it. Yes, you can have no password. It will eliminate any chance of typos, keyboard issues, etc.

I would also repair permissions to be sure the system is OK too.

If you think keychain is snarfed up, delete the file and start fresh.

If none of that works, delete his account and create a new one - ASSUMING THERE IS NO UNIQUE/IMPORTANT DATA IN IT! If there is data there, you can move it to a new account, but that is a bit more work.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks for the replies guys but none of that worked. I did repair permissions and it found to problems. I also ran fsck -fy and cleaned out all caches using Onyx. I did notice tho that the system never makes a password for this new account. The reset password button never changes from reset to change password. So for whatever reason the system never enters a password for this new user. Even leaving the password blank doesn't work.
    I'm gonna try using Terminal app to see if I can create this account. Let ya's know if it works.

I logged in as root and got it to work! No idea why I had to do it that way but glad I figured it out. Thanks again guys for your suggestions.

Sounds like the admin user or group permissions are jacked.

All accounts with admin credentials should be in an admin group, and have the same access/ability. From the new account you created, you might try to make another test account, and see if you can - that everything works as expected.

If yes - then there is an issue with the account you were using.

If no - then there is a system wide problem, probably with the admin group.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin