Thread: How can I make a backup of a TimeMachine drive ?

Default How can I make a backup of a TimeMachine drive ?

Hi there,

I trying to set a backup plan for my girlfriend. The restoring process has to be "newbie proof".

I'm using TM to backup everything to an e-Sata drive. i'd like to mirror this drive to another e-Sata drive every X hours.

I did try a script with rsync to make a copy, but the second backup takes much more space than TM does. After several researches, rsync doesn't seem to be able to create hard links on folders - only files - as TM does.

The syntax is : rsync -aHzE --force --delete /Volumes/TimeMachineBackup/ /Volumes/Mirror/

The only way I found to make an exact copy of the TM backup is using the Disk utility restore function. Problem is, it takes hours and hours.

Is there a solution to do it?

I use Synchronize Pro for a while, but it's too slow. I'd like to keep changed/deleted files but I had to uncheck this option because it added much more time to backup to complete. That's why I switched to TM.

She has lots of data to backup. System, Users for sure and her data.

Question Do you need a bootable backup

Remember TM is not a bootable backup. The first time does take time but quickly after that.

Depending on how dynamic her data is, you will need to set a schedule to erase and start the TM drive over from scratch. I recommend every three months as a normal course of events, but someone who seldom uses their computer may be able to get away with less often.

Problem is that TM drives inevitably get corrupted over time. They get more and more complex and one day some part of them no longer works. And there is no way to know when that is unless the fault is a catastrophic one that shows up with a complete backup failure. These corruptions are repeatable and, like I stated, inevitable. And any backup of the TM drive will just copy the problem.

One reason I really like SyncProX, I have been running some of my SyncProX backups for 7 or 8 years straight. Never had any issue beyond the odd file having a permissions issue that I have to fix to maintain automated operability.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I have come to like Time Machine, and think it is a great first step for what users need most: easy to restore stuff lost, deleted, etc. I have not seen issues with it since 10.6......except in very rare cases.

But I also recommend a secondary backup that is fully bootable more rugged.

Ricks recommended software is very good, as are several others. Best free one out there now IMHO is CarbonCopyCloner. A very nice GUI for rsync, so you get full power unixy goodness, with easy-peasy interface.

One TM backup for history, and one CCC (or other tool of your choice) backup that is rock solid and bootable. Done.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

First, thank you for replies !

As I said earlier, I used SyncXPro which was good to create full backup. But keeping history was a nightmare. It was too long.
    That's why I gave a try to TM for my girlfriend. I use TM for my laptop but I didn't have any problem with it, but I use only 60 GB on my drive and my TM drive is 500 GB.

My girlfriend has around 1.3 TB to backup, so she may encounter one day the problem ricks described if we don't plan to make the backup from scratch every X months. Her files often changes.

Actually, I like the way TM works. Keeps history up to remaining space with a nice GUI to restore files.
    I may consider rsnapshots based on rsync, but it's a command line tool which is not user-friendly.

rwm & unclemac: Don't worry, I already have another drive with a bootable backup just in case.
    unclemac: I used CCC a long time ago. I should take a look at it !
    ricks: How do you detect that your TM backup is corrupted? Is there a scenario I can reproduce ?

I run TM also but my Sys, Apps and data are only a total of about 75GB so it's features are nice. SuperDuper does my bootable backup.

CCC does incrementals nicely, but does not groom out old versions, so yes, eventually you have to start over, or groom manually.

Only TM and a handful of other tools out there groom old stuff out......which is the feature that is most critical.

One great one that does, though not a full bootable backup is CrashPlan. Back up to another machine PC or Mac, local or anywhere on the interweb, or to an attached HD. Or all three.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin