Thread: CD Burn in iTunes

Question CD Burn in iTunes

Tonight I used and audio converter to copy a cassette into Audacity. After exporting the tracks to apple AIFF files, imported them into iTunes album. I then burned the album as a "listening CD" to a blank CD opened in iTunes. I did two CD without a problem. After burning the third, the disk image disappeared from both itunes sidebar and the desktop. I checked finder sidebar. No image. I checked disk utility. The CD was there but not mounted. I restarted the computer and the CD was back on my desktop. I ejected it and burned another CD, but opened it in Finder. Same results in all areas. Both the finder, and sidebar preferences are set to show CDs, DVDs, & iPods. When the disk burn is done the CD's image disappears. I burned 8 CDs over this last weekend, one after the other, without the problem.
    I changed no settings. I'm confused.

Default I noticed!!

I noticed the first two CDs were different brand than the others. The first two are "memorex". The others "Maxell". Went and got some more memorex blank CD's and problem solved. (At least for now: Only had time to burn 1 CD before I have to leave for work)

Wojo

Thumbs up

Wild.

Thanks for the feedback on the mystery.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Damien has reported for years the problem with different brand CD and DVD blanks. This should not be a surprise. Different burners have a history of disliking some disks.

Glad you found a resolution.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Yes you really need to find a brand your burner likes and stick with it.

Taiyo Yuden are reportedly the best there is, never tried them though. Not available around me and blanks are something I buy local.

Verbatim is my brand of choice

Others that have worked adequately: Sony, TDK, Apple

Maxell used to be on my adequate list but they have gotten lax in quality control I think

Memorex..... since you have good luck with them I will try not to get too rude about them. I'm glad to hear a good report on them. Good reports are rare on Memorex. The story is Memorex has 2 production plants and one has poor quality and the other is acceptable. The only way to tell the difference is to read the spindle codes (tiny numbers in the plastic next to the hole in the middle) if you know the codes you can tell which plant produced it. This was the case about 3-4 years ago. They (I hope) have got that problem fixed by now.... surely..

I'll get down off my soapbox now

I will say again, find a brand your burner (consistently) likes and stick with it.
    Damien,

Thumbs up In Town of 3000

Sure frustrating to live in a town with limits. I live in a town of around 3700 about 90 mile SE of Little Rock, AR. Without traveling 25 miles to the NW or ordering on line, Memorex and Maxell are the choices. One of the local stores used to have Sony and I had good results from with them on the old iMac G4. Where do you get the Verbatim?

Thanks all for the feedback. BTW just completed a successful burn of 11 CDs without problem.

wojo

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Verbatim is available at BestBuy and Fry's pretty much any big box electronics store. Used to be available at walmart but no more. (around here anyway... central Indiana) I also have to go about 25 miles NE to buy them but I usually get enough at once to last a while, and really I don't need much excuse to go to those places anyway
    Damien,

Angry Small towns

Small town here myself ..... every thing I do is mail order. FWIW - I've used Verbatim with real good luck most my life. A few memorex / maxell. I buy Verbatim's by the 100 on eBay.

But I like the small town......