Thread: Pesky Internet Connect dialog

Red face Pesky Internet Connect dialog

G5 dual 1.8, after upgrading from X4.11 to X5.8 , I keep getting a warning dialog from Internet Connect, 'modem error' // modem is not in use - is off.

And after much hunting I found the interconnect folder in Library, moved it to trash and reboot. There was no effect so did delete it.

This seems to be something left over from the upgrade that is unnecessary with the new system, (there is No IC in the X5 sys prefs). And when locate "internet connect" on back up drive, it shows the 'stop' symbol= not functional in osx5.

Have done a system search and also a visual manual search for anything with in* con* and moved it to the trash. To no avail, the *edy dialog still pops up at random. Both annoying and disruptive.

Before I go to the trouble of starting over with a Clean Install, I am hoping that someone will have a hint as to how to fix this.

anyone? thanks,
    G5 2x1.8 8gig, osx5.8 / G4 sawtooth, 1.6ghz, 2 gig

do you use the modem for dial up?

Default no modem in use

Modem is not in use, modem is off, and not connected.
    connection is dsl Ethernet.

Can you change things in your Network Prefs

Default no longer exists

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    Can you change things in your Network Prefs
    No, in osx5 "internet connect" does no longer exist, therefor no access in anyway.
    I tried booting in osx4 and tried to disable all "IC" items, but to no avail.

I found pref-pane, plist, framework, have searched system lib/ machine lib/ user lib == have put every 'internet connect' item I find into the trash, wait till I have rebooted and everything still functions, then empty the trash.

-- i think it must be a loose plist doc somewhere, that reacts to system telling it there is no connection,

Wonder if it would help to just pull the modem altogether?

I have had an awful lot of computers around the guru's lab over the years, and most all of them, until the G5s quit having that option, had built in modems. Never once seen the behavior you describe. I have no clue what to advise from a software side to make it go away.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

dunno.

Wonder if a redo of all network pref would help? Consider trashing a few items in: Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

You might also make a test user to see if the pref is global (system wide) or if it only afflicts the existing user account.

Might also look at Console logs at the time that the error pops up for clues....might point at a pref or application support item, or something.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin