Thread: Desktop etc on 10.6.3

Default Desktop etc on 10.6.3

I know it's not the end of the world, but having installed 10.6.3 I seem to have lost the ability to choose my own Desktop pic, or Screensaver sequence.

Is this true, or am I (often do) not looking in the right place?

Under 'Desktop'/'Screensaver' there used to be an option,'Choose folder', which seems to have gone...

Thanks.

Allen.

Right on both counts. It's not there.....and you are not looking in the right place....or looking for the right thing. In the same spot check out the + button in the lower left quadrant.

Apple continues to try to unify and streamline their UI. I like the + and - buttons, but alot of long time Mac users miss them as add and delete, so you are not alone.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks as usual, Unclemac, just what I was missing.

Don't suppose you can solve this next one, can you?

I had a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. Nice bit of kit (on 10.4.11). Mouse could be configured any which way, and was. Right handy.

Now? No way! System prefs Mouse doesn't recognise Logitech Control Centre, and the new LCC software I downloaded doesn't seem to work with 10.6.3.

Anyway, for now I've got it doing something, and I've emailed Logitech asking for assistance. Only a cheap product (about $45 as I recall), so I wonder how much help they will be.

Apple could do us all a favour (and themselves in a PR sort of way) by putting up a web page of OS levels and what does and doesn't work with each one, and if there IS a workround (like the QuickTime business), that as well. People must spend countless hours trying to solve these problems, over and over. Rant finished.

Thanks for the help.

Allen.

You're on the right track. Will come down to Logitech support for older products. If they fix it, you will be right as rain again. If not.....don't know of option off the top of my head.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

USB Overdrive works in 10.6.4 and earlier and will drive your logitech USB devices with as many if not more options than the Logitech software. It will also drive just about any other USB peripheral ever made. EVER!

It's Shareware though... but worth every penny.

One note, It conflicts with the new Apple Magic Trackpad. The author has always been good about updates though
    Damien,

Damien: thanks for that; I'll wait till Logitech come back, and if no help, I'll try that software.

Unclemac: one thing that STILL appears to have gone as we've progressed is the Slideshow function on screensaver. MacHelp only gives a reference to iPhoto, and how to do slideshows on that.

Is there a slideshow button on screensaver that's hidden somewhere?

Allen

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

If you choose a folder with more than one picture in it it automatically makes a slideshow
    Damien,

Thanks Damien.

It's often obvious, isn't it?

Allen.