Thread: External Seagate HD Disconnects Itself

Default External Seagate HD Disconnects Itself

I have Dual 1.8 GHz Power PC G5 with 10.5.8. I am having a problem with a Seagate "FreeAgent GoFlex Desk" external 2TB hard drive randomly (or, it seems random) disconnecting itself. I get the warning box that the drive has been improperly disconnected. Then, the drive boots itself back up.
    A little background:
    - I bought this drive for backup while out of town on a photo shoot (the client was supposed to have supplied one). During the photo shoot I was using an iMac; not sure which or what OS. I wasn't paying attention to that (client's computer). It worked fine.
    - I got it home and connected it to my G5.
    - I partitioned the drive and decided I would use it for TimeMachine backup. It began to disconnect itself.
    - I thought maybe it was TimeMachine, so I deleted it, removed the partition, and ran "Repair Disk Permissions" in Disk Utility.
    - Also, this external HD comes with two different docks, one for FW and one for USB. I tried both and it still ejects itself.

Should I try erasing the drive in Disk Utility? If so, would it be Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

Thanks.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Yes Mac OS Extended (Journaled) would be the one to use.

However my thoughts are either the power supply or the bridgeboard
    Damien,

Thx Damien.
    The bridgeboard are the FW & USB docks? I tried both of them and it still ejects itself. Could I have damaged the hard drive when I brought it back from Chicago? I didn't drop it or anything (took it on the plane in my satchel)

I would agree.......likely PS or bridge. Now what? Still under warranty?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yes, it is still under warranty. But I didn't keep any of the paperwork or anything. It was left in Chicago after the job.

Something interesting happens and I'd like to run it by you guys. I decided that I would keep it only as my secondary backup. I have put all of my digital photography files, document files, music, etc. on it and will put it away in my safe only to bring it out once a week for backup.

It never ejected itself during the 1/2 a day it took for my digital files to back up to this HD (using ChronoSync). Usually, if I leave it connected, it ejects and reboots about 2 or 3 times in 1/2 a day.

Does that indicate what the problem may be?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

You don't need paperwork just the seagate serial number which is printed on the drive

The Bridge is the circuitry inside the external box that makes an SATA drive connect via firewire. If the problem follows the drive (when tried on 2 different boards) and a complete format does not fix it then yes it's time for a warranty replacement if it's still covered.
    Damien,

Thanks Damien. I will go onto Seagate's website and see what I need to do. You guys are the best.