Thread: Missing screen icons

Default Missing screen icons

Hello

Just did a clean install of Leopard onto my iMac Intel (previously 10.4.11).

Install goes okay, end up with the proper welcome screens, etc., but oddly, the icons for my newly partitioned hard drive aren't on screen.

I CAN see them if I go through View/Go on the control line, but can't find a way of making them appear on screen.

Another (external) device display okay.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

Allen.

.......you mean on the desktop? Easy setting:

Click the desktop so Finder is selected, and select Finder/Preferences. Select General at the top and check Hard Disks.

FYI: This is not checked on 10.6 by default. Finally getting away from the OS 9 world of showing your Hard Drive on the desktop, as it is less and less useful for average users in OS 10. No reason you can't turn it back on though.....if you prefer.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Excellent, Unclemac, thanks.

Another, possibly linked problem: when I restart, it doesn't ask me for my password. I take it there's a way of turning that on and off, too!

Thanks.

Allen.

Default My first thought...

What was the password for? Any use? Not sure but first look in your System Preferences and Select Accounts and check your settings there.

Password was for when Burglar Bill knicks my iMac and gets it back to his lair, so he can't look at all my sensitive bits and pieces!

Not Accounts, but there is a Security tab which has just let me require a password 15 mins after sleep, so I take it that's the same after shutdown...

I shall have a go and report back.

Allen.

A little later...

Yes, it was on that Security tab, but not the one I used.

It was a question of 'disabling automatic log in', and on subsequent restart I had to put my password in, so burglar bill is foiled again.

Thanks.

A

Does "burglar bill" have any settings in the app. I have never heard of or used burglar bill...

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    Does "burglar bill" have any settings in the app. I have never heard of or used burglar bill...

LOL. "Burglar Bill" is any potential thief.

Password was for when Burglar Bill knicks my iMac and gets it back to his lair, so he can't look at all my sensitive bits and pieces!
    Translated from English to American, this would read something like:

Password so that if some a-hole rips off my iMac he can't see any of my sensitive stuff when he gets it back to his crib!

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Red face Thanks Unc,

Your always covering my butt. Glad we have smart Mods.