Thread: iMac: hairlines on screen.

Default iMac: hairlines on screen.

Hello.

iMac Intel, Jan 2007. (I bought the 3-year warranty, which expired earlier this year).

Anyway, a month or so back, a thin (hairline) white line appeared about 50mm in from the right, going down the screen. Now, a second one has turned up, about 15mm to its right.

Doesn't really affect anything, and if nothing else happens I'll be inclined to ignore it.

But to save me getting my Mac-to-TV cable out of the shed, any ideas on this one? Is the screen going to clap out, or is it a card problem? Either way, it'll probably be more expensive to repair than to put up with it...

Thanks.

Allen, London.

My guess is video card.

Could be the panel, but mostly when I've seen growing lines, it has not been the panel.

Only way I know to check is to connect a second display. No lines, and it is probably the panel. If there are lines or any other artifacts on the second display, it is the video card.

....I wonder if screen sharing would be a valid test? The host machine would still have to generate the images, so I would expect if the video card is bad, the lines might appear on the remote scree too. Have not tried this.

How long ago did your AppleCare expire? If it was very recent, you might it anyway. Some of the early Intel iMacs have a known bad video card......Apple may be lenient. Some models have a seperate daughter card, so it is cost effective to fix......don't have to replace the entire logic board.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

it's the panel. apple should repair this for free... contact them and see.

Jan 2010, so I doubt if they'd be THAT lenient.

I'll dig out my mac-to-tv cable, and have a look. At least it'll prove that the screen (panel) is okay, or not, and if I DO still get lines, it will at least point to the card as the culprit.

I'll report back...

Allen.

........listen to Greentree.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

........listen to Greentree.

Worth a call/visit to find out.

Well, connecting my iMac to a television revealed that there are NO hairlines on the television display, which I think means it's the video card, but I know my limitations, so tell me if I'm wrong!

Can't see how even the dimmest Apple employee would mistake these symptoms for a panel (screen) fault, but again, tell me if I'm missing something.

Is the video card the same one that the display socket is part of? I ask as I DID have this replaced under warranty about a year ago, as I was trying to connect to the TV but couldn't get an image, as the socket seemed to be damaged. It was replaced, and I got my image. Still out of warranty, of course.

I have a feeling that the cost of a video card and the labour involved might come to several hundred dollars, which would go a long way to the cost of a new (or even another refurbished) iMac. Your views would be appreciated.

Allen.

Sometimes Apple has service bulletins that only their techs know about, regarding known issues. Apple has been known to extend warranty coverage for such known issues, either as a policy, or some times case-by-case basis.

Always worth checking, and making a little stink to see what they offer. As an example, here is a recent notice that many users will never find to make a claim.

.....See what they say.

Seems if the output to a TV doesn't show the lines that the assumption would be screen, not graphics card. I thought the idea of your test was to see if the lines, if they came from the card, showed on the TV as well.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Ricks:

you're right, of course. Just getting myself confused. I meant that it had to be the screen (maybe it's the medication?)

A.