Thread: OSX 10.6.4 - Restart does not restart. ;]

Default OSX 10.6.4 - Restart does not restart. ;]

Hello everyone,

A strange thing has been happening the past few days... sometimes when I click 'restart', the computer shuts down (but not completely, the 'sleep light' turns on)... and does nothing.

So, no restart. :]

Macbook Pro 13" 2.26ghz Intel Core 2 Duo... as an aside, I recently acquired 8gb of RAM (4gbx2) which is listed in system profile as running at 1333mhz, rather than (I thought) the maximum 1065 or 1067 whatever it is. Although it is recognized and runs generally perfectly, could this be an issue? I do not like to exceed the maximum of things.

Cheers,
    Marty

Default Welcome to the Guru's Forums

RAM can always be an issue. Can you pull the newer RAM out and see what happens?

Have you run repair permissions or do any regular maintenance?

Re run the 10.6.4 combo installer....

Just a few thoughts.

Does this only happen when trying to shut down?

Try booting into Safe Boot mode (hold down the Shift key), and then shutting down, and see if it acts differently.

You can check the Console log to see if an application or service, or something else is hanging on shutdown.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin